Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The toggle in the A7 has been acting up, It will not stay in the Bridge or neck positions. when I try it goes back to the middle by it's self.

This is what the toggle looks like so I couldnt tell if the peice that holds the toggles in place were worn out or what. But how hard would it be to replace it and keep the set I have in the A7?

And since I forgot to post the link before :lol:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProLine-3Position-Toggle-Switch?sku=363058

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Those are cheap import switches. Just replace it with a better-quality Switchcraft toggle and it'll last for years, possibly the rest of the guitar's life.

http://www.allparts.com/Short-Toggle-Switch-p/ep-4066-000.htm

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Those are cheap import switches. Just replace it with a better-quality Switchcraft toggle and it'll last for years, possibly the rest of the guitar's life.

Short Toggle Switch | Allparts.com
thanks,
Do they make them in black though? I didn't see any on that site.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to.. lol When I was like 6... Yeah my dad let me and my bother have soldering iorns when we were younger. But I just figured to try it my self and say be 100 bucks :lol: the shop charges to look at the guitar then to fix it. So I feel I might be better off buying an Iron from Homedepot and that switch you linked, and just replacing it myself

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quick question of anyone that sees this: Does toggles switchs have Impedances?

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:yesway: I was asking because a buddy of mine offered to help/show me how to install and solder the switch when I get it but he siad: make sure it has the right impedance though

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:bump:

I just now ordered the toggle switch and bought a Solder Iron. (40watts hopefully thats enough)

I got two things I needed to ask.

1. Do you have to use the iron on the old wires going to the switch?

2. the switch I got is this:

and was wonder what I would have to do if there is 4 wires? Cause the digram the had shows only 3 contact points.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The diagram does actually show four connections. They've illustrated unclearly, but there's a braided shield on the wires in the illustration that gets soldered to the single lug on the opposite side to where the pickups and output wire are hooked up.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The diagram does actually show four connections. They've illustrated unclearly, but there's a braided shield on the wires in the illustration that gets soldered to the single lug on the opposite side to where the pickups and output wire are hooked up.
hmm, Well once I get it in I will probably back on here asking anyways :lol:, but the one side with the One pole or the side with two?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts

One side of the switch has one heavy lug for grounding. The other side has four lugs for bridge and neck pickup connections, with the output wire attached to the middle two lugs, which get soldered together.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:bump: I got the new toggle today..Uncovered the A7 and the old toggle has 6 solder points :ugh: I'm guessing wires from each pickups and then to the output jack, but each had like a ground to them.

So, I need some help as to what to do now? :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

One side of the switch has one heavy lug for grounding. The other side has four lugs for bridge and neck pickup connections, with the output wire attached to the middle two lugs, which get soldered together.
By the way, the All Parts toggle only had 3 poles. the one on the one side and two on th eother, and then there are the screws on it as well...:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts