Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The track is like less than a mile away from me. I've gone there when they were recording it. Funny thing is it's right behind my local Costco at an old Marine Base.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Ah, the typical Hollywood method of taking a great British TV show, and ruining by shoving in some third rate stand up comic as host.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Maxim quoted the driver guy they have as saying "It's designed for the 99.9% of Americans who have never heard of Top Gear. We're hoping the rest like it too."

Ringing endorsement there :lol:

It's gonna be shit. I'm going to watch the first episode though, just to see how shit... I know they're pillaging the older episodes of the British show for ideas. I think the first episode involves a race between a skydiver and an all-wheel drive vehicle. I haven't seen that one before...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Top Gear works SPECIFICALLY because you have the old elitist prick, fun loving average Joe road race fan, and stuffy, awkward British guy. The three of them have a wonderful dynamic together, and you cannot just go grab three people and hope it will work. You cannot discount the luck that those three have wonderful chemistry together.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I'm glad that this will never cross the pond :) I'll stick with my good version, thanks :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Top Gear works SPECIFICALLY because you have the old elitist prick, fun loving average Joe road race fan, and stuffy, awkward British guy. The three of them have a wonderful dynamic together, and you cannot just go grab three people and hope it will work. You cannot discount the luck that those three have wonderful chemistry together.
Exactly. The onscreen chemistry and the fantastic writing.

And the very British sense of humor.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Maxim quoted the driver guy they have as saying "It's designed for the 99.9% of Americans who have never heard of Top Gear. We're hoping the rest like it too."

Ringing endorsement there :lol:

It's gonna be shit. I'm going to watch the first episode though, just to see how shit... I know they're pillaging the older episodes of the British show for ideas. I think the first episode involves a race between a skydiver and an all-wheel drive vehicle. I haven't seen that one before...

YouTube - Hammond's Porsche Turbo vs Red Devil Race - Top Gear - BBC autos
I just watched that episode tonight :lol: Thanks to the Internet, we don't have to suffer through shitty American Top Gear.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Just saw some previews of it (it's on the History channel? WTF?).

Most definitely Do Not Want. I'll stick with the BBC show.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The absolute best way to make a successful Top Gear show in the USA is to just import the BBC show - I bet Discovery would make a killing syndicating it :)

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
I get it on Time Warner Digital cable. Hell, season 16 is on demand currently.

Top Gear USA is a joke...... it's going to be terrible.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Ah, the typical Hollywood method of taking a great British TV show, and ruining by shoving in some third rate stand up comic as host.
Back when they were originally talking about doing a US version of this They were trying to get Leno and Adam Corolla to do it (both serious car nuts)

Im guessing it will hella suck and they will cow-tow to auto advertisers

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Back when they were originally talking about doing a US version of this They were trying to get Leno and Adam Corolla to do it (both serious car nuts)

Im guessing it will hella suck and they will cow-tow to auto advertisers
Part of the reason I love Top Gear and Top Gear Australia even is because they review cars we can't get here. We're cut off from the rest of the automotive world so much, it's crazy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts