Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this video, you're going to learn how to get down and dirty with that thumb of yours! I've been getting requests to do a video lesson on the Tosin Abasi/Javier Reyes/Animals as Leaders-style guitar slapping/thumping thing for a long time now. There are a lot of misconceptions about this technique, so i tried to break everything down as well as i could and get really comprehensive about it. I hope this helps you all out! Check it out and share over your Facebook or Twitter! Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a question, when going for the "down" thump, what motion would be best? I tried it last night, and I felt like I was just picking with my thumb, and wasn't getting that satisfying thump sound, even at slow speeds (although, that may be due to needing to toughen my thumb up). Should I try to go for a "slap" motion but slapping through the string like you explained? I understand going to the next string for the rest stroke, it's just the actual motion of my thumb I'm having trouble with.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a question, when going for the "down" thump, what motion would be best? I tried it last night, and I felt like I was just picking with my thumb, and wasn't getting that satisfying thump sound, even at slow speeds (although, that may be due to needing to toughen my thumb up). Should I try to go for a "slap" motion but slapping through the string like you explained? I understand going to the next string for the rest stroke, it's just the actual motion of my thumb I'm having trouble with.
Try using LESS of your thumb. If you hit with all the meat of the thumb, its too much for the string and it just sounds.... wrong haha.... whenever i do this, its really just the edge of my thumb grazing the string!
Let me know if that helps!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! Part two of my Tosin Abasi/Animals as Leaders/Javer Reyes style guitar slapping lesson! Two weeks ago, i did a video on the thumb technique these guys use. Here's how to get your other digits involved and slapping up a storm. Enjoy! And hit me up for Skype lessons!

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Sorry for being OT but that blue and orange swirl is fucking killer. :yesway: You should do that to my RG8. Cool instructional too, man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts