Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm wanting to record some stuff guitar, vocals and drum programming. I'm totally new to this. What all do I need to record and do the drum sounds and make it into an mp3? Whats the easiest drum machine/program to use? I will be using my 5150 2x12 combo.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
you will still need a computer, the fast track is your means of getting the sound into your computer, it basically translates your sound into something you can use with reaper.
Reaper is the software that you use to manipulate the sound once it's in.
Reaper= the mixer, tape recorder and effects-racks you have in an ordinary studio.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I don't know if volume is an issue for you, but if you're planning to mic up your amp, you need to be aware that you'll have to play quite loudly. Though recording the amp with a mic is widely considered to produce the best sound, it is by no means the only option nowadays. There are various hardware and software alternatives that allow you to play at more reasonable volumes.

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
sure you can, but you will want to upgrade at a later point i think. But for rough demos it's more than fine.
5-6 years ago my band used one of the early boss' recorders for demos. Drums are a bit crappy, but easy to program.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Does anyone know if I could plug an electric drumset directly into the Boss BR-600, and record it like that?
You could but you will be stuck with the sound you record and cant edit any parts of the drums later.

Have you bought the Br-600 yet? If not please dont buy it. There are much better options.

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I have already bought the BR-600, and I like it pretty well. I don't have a clue on how to use programs like Reaper, unfortunately. And I'm fine with being stuck with the drums i would record with an electric set. I just figured it might be a little better sound quality than recording a acoustic set through the built in mics.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
If you have an electric drum kit, get an interface with midi i/o and you are in complete control of sound

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Yes, I have already bought the BR-600, and I like it pretty well. I don't have a clue on how to use programs like Reaper, unfortunately. And I'm fine with being stuck with the drums i would record with an electric set. I just figured it might be a little better sound quality than recording a acoustic set through the built in mics.
Oh well. Anyway download reaper. It is very easy to use.
If you have an electric drum kit, get an interface with midi i/o and you are in complete control of sound
Read the while thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts