Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Totally not mimed performance video with super enjoyable music

5K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·

#26 ·
Jesus, you lot are a bunch of miserable fucks.

I thought it was interesting in a Polyphia mixed with Devin Townsend type way. Not gonna subscribe to his Patreon but it wasn't 1 minute 30 wasted.
This is rubbish and you should feel bad. :squint: This kind of shit is everything that's wrong with guitar playing these days.

"Look at me mime this shit I step edited for 8 hours. I'm playing my flawless custom guitar btw, in case you didn't notice the headstock and the Gruv Gear(tm). Buy my preset pack!"

#24 ·
God, we really are a bunch of grouchy old fucks, now, aren't we? :lol:

The guitar version is okay, I guess. As the thread title notes, it's hard to know what actual performance went into this.

As for the synth version, you might as well just draw a bunch of MIDI notes in your DAW if that's the sonic result you're after.

#30 ·
My gripe isn't so much the trend part of it as much as there isnt anything to remember about the actual music I hear. The rest is also not my thing but these days it seems its more about seeing something than hearing it and the hearing it part to me is a big deal. I dont like/remember this bland music 10 minutes later. :shrug:

#31 ·
As someone who actually likes guitar synth stuff (Adrian Belew, Maiden's SWiT) I've got to wonder how this guy is playing synth with a guitar, when there's no pickup. MIDI Guitar 2 can't really track that fast, and it didn't sound like an SY300, though I suppose it could have been. My guess is that he's definitely miming it.

#32 ·
I'm pretty sure I've complained about this before, but it baffles me how most people just don't care these days. I was talking to my friend about the Weeknd's Super Bowl show, and he couldn't care less that it was likely entirely lip-synced because it "helps them put on a more extravagant show".

Same with the bands that use pitch correction, extensive backing tracks, etc. I was at a show a couple years back where one of the opening bands couldn't finish their set because their laptop crashed. My first thought was "that's what you get for relying entirely on a laptop", but no one else really seemed to care.

I guess in the era of thumbnails and clickbait, the look is getting more and more important, at the expense of the actual music. I don't get it, but it seems like I'm in the minority. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.