Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With my impending move to Norway, I have a very tough choice to make about what to do with my UV "Potty". Because of the way stiffer Norwegian laws, the fact that I'm starting to get tired of explaining myself about this guitar, or outright hiding it from less open-minded folks, I'm faced with a few choices, as I love this axe and have yet to feel a neck like this:

A) Strip it and refinish
B) Sell or trade it

Of course I'm inclined towards A, probably do it flat black, or maybe army green....I'm so torn, as I love this axe...whatever decision I do, it has to be fast, as I'm shipping all my stuff over at the middle of Aug.

:confused: :(

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strip it give it a black stain with the grain stained green, kind of like those Gibson voodoo models
That would be an awesome idea if the guitar were made from ash, like those Voodoo's (we have an SG of those here now), but basswood is very plain and boring looking itself. Good call though :metal:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
That would be an awesome idea if the guitar were made from ash, like those Voodoo's (we have an SG of those here now), but basswood is very plain and boring looking itself. Good call though :metal:
Ah yeah forgot about the basswood. Maybe a maple veneer or thin top with a carvin esque triple step stain in green? A little too much work maybe.

Flat black, or black stain would look cool I'd say.

Or you could swirl it :cool: ;)

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yeah forgot about the basswood. Maybe a maple veneer or thin top with a carvin esque triple step stain in green? A little too much work maybe.

Flat black, or black stain would look cool I'd say.

Or you could swirl it :cool: ;)
All very good options, but sadly I don't have time for that right now while I'm preparing to move. Hmmm, I really like the idea of the thin, figured veneer overlay....perhaps I'll just strip it raw to get it through customs, ship it over as is, and then refin later on after I get my new shop up and running.

Refin for sure :yesway: Never sell a guitar that feels right.
You know it man!

You cant give it to me. I'm the only one that would really give it the smoking lifestyle its probably use to.:)
:D

He could just leave it on the couch if he wants that.
:rofl:

Most people love this axe when they see it and play it. Marten absolutely loved it, I have a great pic of him playing it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Sell it for really cheap to a fellow forumite. Tis the only honorable thing to do.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
I'd say just strip it for right now, let it go through customs, then you can do whatever with it when you finally are in Norway. You'd have a lot more time to think of finish options rather than rushing into it. So that way if you really like the idea of the veneer/stain, you'd have time to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Black and green swirl would be glorious indeed.

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT STRIP THAT!

It's the most awesome paint job EVER! If you have to do anything, just paint over it so it's still there just covered up.

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
1.Veneer it with a sheet of thin vinyl
2.Strut through customs with your magenta guitar
3.Peel of vinyl at your new home
4.Toke it and pass
5.?
6.Profit

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sell it for really cheap to a fellow forumite. Tis the only honorable thing to do.
:p I've been offered some pretty good cash for it as is, and although it's just a normal UV green dot - it's the only one in the world that has genuine leaves laminated and sealed onto it. Take that, Jem floral. There's no way in hell id sell this for cheap.

I'd say just strip it for right now, let it go through customs, then you can do whatever with it when you finally are in Norway. You'd have a lot more time to think of finish options rather than rushing into it. So that way if you really like the idea of the veneer/stain, you'd have time to pull it off.
:yoda: And this has been the wisest advice given so far, thanks. I'm probably going to do this.

Black and green swirl would be glorious indeed.
Yeah, that would look pretty badass, I might keep that in mind... :)

PLEASE DO NOT STRIP THAT!

It's the most awesome paint job EVER! If you have to do anything, just paint over it so it's still there just covered up.
Ah. I had already thought of doing the cover-up route, and was going to just cover the whole body in black duct tape, and then restring it, a la Korn, but it would look horrible. And then i would always have to keep on constantly explaining "yes they're real, please don't pick at that, they're under 10 coats of poly, no you can't smoke or get high off it, they came from a legal hemp rope plantation actually"...blah blah ad nauseum. Most who see it in person think it's really like a work of art, but as much as I love it and think it's a real shame to strip it (it was a bitch of a job to do), I'm getting pretty tired of saying that stuff repeatedly.

Alternately, trade Marten for an LACS or something :D
He's got handful of nice lacs 8's (and wait til you see his new pointy one), and we chuckled about that, but still....there's Customs, and it would REALLY suck to have it confiscated in one shot forever.

1 - Go to a cool shop and buy a bunch of black bumper stickers. Cover it in those.

2 - Stop smoking weed, it's bad for you.
1. Because it would not only look like some teenage punk monstrosity, but because I would still have the same problem as I was explaining earlier.

2. Seriously? Thanks for the advice Matt, it was really helpful. Come on man :rolleyes:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Why not cover the face with removable vinyl in your colour of choice?

[EDIT] Or alternatively, ignore me because i didn't read the entire thread before dispensing above advice. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts