Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1992 Pantera released "A Vulgar Display of Power", upon its release its ground breaking nature was immediately solidified. Metal has always been an angry sort of music, but never before has such rage been infused in its compositions. Lyrics dealt with themes of alienation from society and righteous anger. Lyrical statements were made that would forever shake the foundations of metal, at the lyrical apex of the album Phil Anselmo suggests to the listener that if they cannot "be themselves" perhaps they should just "walk on home boy". It was these in your face statements that catapulted his unique sense of song smithing to the forefront of metal and forever secured Pantera a place in our hearts.

As with any music a unique aesthetic was developed to match the mood of the music. Short hair or baldness (one cannot be bothered to maintain their hair when they are alienated from society! Cut it all off!) and shirtlessness translated the sheer hatred of the music into something we could process with our eyes, so that every sense could be saturated in an aura of self righteousness and being true to yourself. Perhaps the most integral part of the ensemble is the angry expression, would you get the full message if someone told you to "walk on home boy" with a pleasant smile. No. The tough guy frown is the cherry on top of the tough guy metal genre, it is the punctuation that brings meaning to the genres message of . Take. No. Bull. Shit. Punk.

As an enthusiast of the genre, it is fascinating to see how much things can change in 20 years...

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
ALL real metal is infused with take no shit attitude. I will take this over fucking Nightwish anyday. :lol:
True, but I like it when metal bands and metal shows are about everyone in the genre being tough together. The, "I'm tougher than you" shit wears thin on me after a while.

The thing I really hate is hardcore bands. The, "You fucking disgust me" attitude is bullshit.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Walk on home, Phil.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
These guys don't attract wimps, because they're too loud. True metal people, that's Manowar's crowd.

·
Registered
142 Posts
True, but I like it when metal bands and metal shows are about everyone in the genre being tough together. The, "I'm tougher than you" shit wears thin on me after a while.

The thing I really hate is hardcore bands. The, "You fucking disgust me" attitude is bullshit.
I agree with you on this one, and one more thing--the "I'm tougher than you" attitude straddles the (very thin) line between raging and whining, and I know for sure that Phil Anselmo's macho posturing more often than not sounded like straight-up whining to me.

Besides, not to sound like an anus, but if I wanted to listen to someone whining about their feelings, I'd listen to pop radio. :cool:

EDIT: And on the topic of Manowar--that's a different kind of tough altogether. Manowar is the mythic, enduring toughness of stoic bravery and righteous indignation, where Pantera's is more the whining, self-righteous, "my daddy beats me" toughness of a juvenile schoolyard bully. Different attitudes.

"Walk on home, boy" indeed.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Tough guy metal really comes across as "I feel the need to compensate for my own insecurity" metal.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Josh said:
Tough guy metal really comes across as "I feel the need to compensate for my own insecurity" metal.
I agree. Everyone that acts really tough and listens to it is:

a) 90 lbs
B) has no friends
C) talks about how wimpy you are
D) sucks at life

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
So....because I happen to love Pantera, I'm now a 90 lbs wimp w/ no friends who sucks at life? Yay for generic stereotyping! :rolleyes:

This whole thread fails.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It's the same reason I hate tough guy rap. :shrug:

Aside from the reason that it's rap :-/

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

shannon said:
So....because I happen to love Pantera, I'm now a 90 lbs wimp w/ no friends who sucks at life? Yay for generic stereotyping! :rolleyes:

This whole thread fails.
Sorry i meamt to say the people that put the act on, you know what i meant. Iphone posting = leaving crucial things out :lol:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts