Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're tracking rough guitars direct, how would you guys do it? It's just for stuff to send to guys in the band and for when I get create and can't be arsed tabbing so it doesn't need to be 100% accurate, but what do you prefer? (I should be ordering monitors tomorrow :woot: )

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
No. Not really.

I use monitors, but it's really up to you. What ever makes you the most comfortable is what you should use when tracking.
You have a control and live room though ;)

When not using an amp (i.e. tracking with a VST) I just use monitors. Its simpler.

I've always made blankplank track with phones on account of the fact that we're in the same room as an amp (albiet in a rockwool fort, more isolation is still needed to hear the track easily).

Phones have their place in tracking, recording and mixing.

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
I always use headphones but that's out of necessity - with a toddler (and now a newborn) there is never an appropriate time to rock out with anything else than phones.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I personally hate tracking with monitors, even if it's with a modeler or a plugin. I always track with headphones, and work with monitors later when working on getting things to gel later.

I'd say whatever works best for you, and obviously what works in your environment.

EDIT

and I'm also in Osiris' same boat with kids, so headphones are the only way for me right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
ok, let me qualify my statement. If you have already checked your direct tone via monitors and are happy with how it's going to sound concerning mixing then headphones are fine. However, if you have never heard you direct patch via studio monitors and are tracking using headphones to get tones, i think you will have unsatisfactory results.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Thats a pretty fucking far cry from your previous statement.

And I still diagree with it. Well-known headphones are always a useful reference.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

I go both ways.

I don't have proper monitors, but speakers vs. headphones, I use both, depending on how I'm feeling, and time of day. Any of my better mixes I've posted were mixed on headphones. You can mix on anything, you just have to know how they sound and how to adjust to what you're listening on.

·
Read Only
3 Posts

I go both ways.
:quagmire:

Even with separate rooms, I've had some players that are more comfortable tracking in the control room with headphones. Some people just seem to be able to get into the groove better with phones, and some get into the groove better with monitors. Personally - I'd love to track in the room with the amp blasting and 'phones on. There's something about feeling the cab moving some air that is inspiring :)

·
18,790 Posts

Matt C said:

I go both ways.
:quagmire:

Even with separate rooms, I've had some players that are more comfortable tracking in the control room with headphones. Some people just seem to be able to get into the groove better with phones, and some get into the groove better with monitors. Personally - I'd love to track in the room with the amp blasting and 'phones on. There's something about feeling the cab moving some air that is inspiring :)
Yeah, I love sticking headphones on and getting in the room with the amp (easy to do when recording in my bedroom :lol: ). Sitting in the control room with monitors is cool, though, since you get a real clear idea of how everything's sitting in the track.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I use headphones almost only for control-listening my double trackings...hard pan left and right and then listen for un-tightness in a stereo field on headphones. everything else - monitors for me.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I dial using monitors and then check it with headphones to inspect the low end and how it translates to something other than my monitors.

I never use headphones for tracking. Hearing it through monitors even if it's turned down to near silence feels better.

It's all preference though.

·
18,790 Posts
I use headphones almost only for control-listening my double trackings...hard pan left and right and then listen for un-tightness in a stereo field on headphones. everything else - monitors for me.
Pfft. Just flip the phase on one track and leave them both right down the center. If you hear anything at all while tracking, you're not playing tight enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts