Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Patience is a virtue, as they say. As some of you may know, I've been having a hell of a time getting my RoV to jive at band volumes. At first I thought the amp was a lemon. So I put it in the shop and it came back with a clean bill of health. Still, I was left unsatisfied. So the other day I came across a thread on SS.org in the FS section, and as irony would have it, a fellow was looking to trade down his Triple and experiment with 50watters. We struck a deal, and the swap was made. I'll be receiving my Triple this tuesday. I'll post pics of the beast as soon as it arrives! :metal:

EDIT: please move to gear section... In all my excitement I failed to post in the right forum! D'oh!

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i was the one who got him on that idea when i jokingly said i would trade my rov for his triple, but my rov owns and i couldnt do it :lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was the one who got him on that idea when i jokingly said i would trade my rov for his triple, but my rov owns and i couldnt do it :lol:
Shit, I guess I have you to thank! But seriously though, we came to terms very easily. He's been great to deal with.

Funny thing though. This past band practice it was just the drummer, the other guitarist and myself. I really had a chance to hear things a bit better and was able to dial in a very, very good tone. I did end up using Vintage mode, but took your advice and kept the bass low. Settings were:

Ibanez SA2120 (stock PUs)
No Boost (wha?!)
Vintage Mode
Gain 3:00
Treble: 1:30
Mid: 8:00
Bass: 10:00
Presence: 12:00
Master: 11:00
Output: 11:00

Yea, that's a lot of gain and fairly scooped, but that's the closest I've gotten to my ideal tone, at band volumes. I'm sad to see the RoV go, because at moderate volume levels it sounds absolutely crushing.

Ironically, I almost had second thoughts about selling the Rectoverb after last practice. I was pretty damn happy overall with the tone. But I did realize that I wasn't pushing the power section TOO hard (no bassist or vocalist to compete with), because any more juice and the tone would have fallen apart. Seriously, this is the loudest damn band I've ever played with.

·
Spyder
21 Posts
Not to get too far off point, but why are wives like that anyway?

If I figure a way around this one, I'll be a billionaire.

Good score though.
Always thought about the triple recs, but I never thought they got the thickness of the Mark series.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, your settings make absolutely no sense to me. :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Other than more gain and bass, they look close to something I'd use. I suspect that the extra gain thins out the sound, so that's the reason for the extra bass. Plus, this is vintage mode, not Modern, so there's less thump for sure.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Mids at 8PM though? That's as close to no mids as you can get from a Recto, and the Rectoverbs are already on the brighter/more scooped side...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Mids at 8PM though? That's as close to no mids as you can get from a Recto, and the Rectoverbs are already on the brighter/more scooped side...
That was what raised my eye. I know that vintage has more mids on tap than modern, but not that much more. I gotta have mids, that is the sound of a guitar.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Agreed. Thered just be nothing left, in Vintage with no mids and the bass and treble somewhat boosted, with the gain maxed out...

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Actually, I think he has them set at 8AM, so it probably sounds fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, the Triple came in today and I have spent the greater part of tonight messing around with it. To sum things up:

Holy. Fuckballs.

CH3 is exactly the tone I've been trying to obtain from my old RoV since day 1. I've come close, but never quite there. So far, it seems that CH2 and 3 are more or less the same circuit, but the EQ points are in slightly different ranges. For example, if I match settings on both channels (say everything at noon), CH3 is fatter and more thumpy, were as CH2 is leaner in the low mid area as well as sounding more scooped. I've yet to read the manual so I don't know if there are design differences, just going from observation.

Something I found odd though. The presence knob on CH2 appears to operate backwards. I.e., If I increase the knob clockwise, the high end is lowered. CH3 presence knob operates 'normally', increase clockwise gives you more high end. I mean, I don't give a shit if it's 'wrong', just something I noticed.

Cranking the channel master up to 12:00 sounds fantastic too, but something I was never able to do with the RoV. This has alot to do with where the FX Send knob is at - I keep it at 12:00 (even with nothing in the loop). Too much send and it gets brittle - VERY similar to how the RoV sounded when I cranked the CH master. And keeping the Mix knob to 10% helps let all the tone get through.

Obviously I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I'm extremely happy I got this amp. I only had a chance to turn it up to about 8:00, but fuck me if it didn't sound phenomenal. It just sounds huge. Tomorrow night the band is practicing so that will be the true test. We'll see how things go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After playing with my Triple rec, I know understand what all of you's have been saying this hole time. :yesway: The settings I had with the RoV were wacky, but does it really matter what the knobs say, so long as I like the tone?

IME the RoV is a much different beast as compared to the a triple rec. Well, at least, MINE was. Not to say it doesn't sound good. It did, especially at more moderate volumes. I feel it's more suited for studio use. But, that's only my take on it. Obviously there are guys who play metal in bands and a RoV or Single Recto works fine. I owned it for almost a year, I've tried just about everything but I never was satisfied.

That was what raised my eye. I know that vintage has more mids on tap than modern, but not that much more. I gotta have mids, that is the sound of a guitar.
Weird thing about my RoV, Vintage mode was pretty damn aggressive sounding, but not so on the Triple. I mean, it actually sounds 'vintage'. Much looser and leaner low end and rounded highs with plenty of mids. Go figure.

Actually, I think he has them set at 8AM, so it probably sounds fine.
LOL. Kiss my ass :cool:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've yet to read the manual so I don't know if there are design differences, just going from observation.
Read it. Seriously. Mesa manuals are actually extremely useful, since their amps operate differently from everything else out there, they actually take them time to explain to you what is going on.

Something I found odd though. The presence knob on CH2 appears to operate backwards. I.e., If I increase the knob clockwise, the high end is lowered. CH3 presence knob operates 'normally', increase clockwise gives you more high end. I mean, I don't give a shit if it's 'wrong', just something I noticed.
That is what happens when you scoop all the mids out. The entire eq section on the Rectos is interrelated. Start lowering the treble, and the midrange knob acts as an upper mid control. Raise the treble, and it starts adding gain. Raise it too far, and the mid and bass knobs become useless. Scoop the mids, and the presence knob gets neutered. Boost them, and the treble knob starts acting like a second gain knob. Drop the bass, and it tightens the amp up. Boost it, and the presence knob becomes less effective.

There is no real way to describe it, but the manual does a good job of trying to explain a very complicated subject. Prepare to spends months playing with the thing, until *click* you one day get it, and just start intuitively twisting knobs to correct the things you hear. I am now at the point where give me ANY Recto ever, and I can get my sound in about twenty seconds.

It is time for you to give some of the settings we discussed a try. Start in ch3/modern for rhythm, presence around 10:30, bass 9:30, mid 11:00, treble 12:30, gain 12:30, with a boost out front (gain off, level maxed, tone around 9:30-10:30). It may sound thin to your ears, but trust me, there is plenty of bass in there when the band kicks in. Triples are some of the punchiest amps in existence, so you want to remember to let your bassist provide the big bottom and thump. If there is not enough of that in your band's sound, then maybe the bassist doesn't have enough power in his rig.

Cranking the channel master up to 12:00 sounds fantastic too, but something I was never able to do with the RoV. This has alot to do with where the FX Send knob is at - I keep it at 12:00 (even with nothing in the loop). Too much send and it gets brittle - VERY similar to how the RoV sounded when I cranked the CH master. And keeping the Mix knob to 10% helps let all the tone get through.
Holy shitballs, 12:00?!? God damn, you breathe on the output knob and the thing probably levels the opposite wall of the room you are in! :eek:

Obviously I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I'm extremely happy I got this amp. I only had a chance to turn it up to about 8:00, but fuck me if it didn't sound phenomenal. It just sounds huge. Tomorrow night the band is practicing so that will be the true test. We'll see how things go.
9:00 is probably the level you will practice at. Seriously. We recorded with Mike's at 10:30, and it was ridiculously loud. He said he got it up to 12:00 at a festival once, and the singer had to lean out past the monitors to hear himself in the mains. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Read it. Seriously. Mesa manuals are actually extremely useful, since their amps operate differently from everything else out there, they actually take them time to explain to you what is going on.
x10000
with a boost out front (gain off, level maxed, tone around 9:30-10:30).
FWIW, I've never maxed the out of the OD in front of my Triple - not even when we were recording it. I always set it to unity, and let it do it's thing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
FWIW, I've never maxed the out of the OD in front of my Triple - not even when we were recording it. I always set it to unity, and let it do it's thing.
Hmm, with my TS7, unity *is* level maxed. I think your OD1 is significantly hotter, or my TS7 is just cold.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts