Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Cthulhu Contractor
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up folks, long time since last time
Well, so I'm looking for some opinions and hints on this Framus Cobra thing because it is just not cutting it for me.
I used to have a Mesa RK which I love, and was pretty happy with it. I didn't have the proper cab for it though., then a friend came along and offered me his framus cobra + framus cab (4x12 greenbacks) for the RK and I took the deal, figuring out "what a hell, I can probably deliver pretty much the same tones AND I will have a cab for it" BIG MISTAKE
So, this Cobra amp more agressive tone but a severe lack of low end (which I love about the RK) and its clean channel sucks some major ass.
After spend the last month trying to deal with my "sonic situation" I'm pretty close to give up on the Cobra head and trade it away.
So this is kind of my last shot, since you fine gentlements have a large amount of knowledge on such area I thought to myself that perhaps I'm doing some stupid shit and you guys could give me some directions, having in mind that I love FAT tones, not muddy (korn like) but with some serious body, more like Alter Bridge (Yeah I know, but the man has some cool tones:shrug:) stuff.
So, what am I doing wrong? And "Liking Alter Bridge tones" is not a valid answer :D

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You've pretty much gotten yourself a very high-mid aggressive, focused, Marshally-sounding amp, when you are really craving a Rectifier :-/

You can get close by fiddling with knobs, but I doubt it'll have that sort of wall-of-sound roar.

·
Cthulhu Contractor
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've pretty much gotten yourself a very high-mid aggressive, focused, Marshally-sounding amp, when you are really craving a Rectifier :-/

You can get close by fiddling with knobs, but I doubt it'll have that sort of wall-of-sound roar.
That was what I'm affraid of, as I explored the tonal range of the Cobra I realized that it resembled Marshall tones, which I'm really not a entusiastic of, and on top of that I was afraid that I could not get it to sound fatter. I mean, there are many ways to make an amp sound aggressive, but I'm not aware of anything that delivers the "roar" like mesa does.
So you say I should start looking around for a different head?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The roar comes from volume. EL34's need to be pushed hard; once they are they will fill the room like no other amp can, but the whole amp can feel a little 'brittle'. They're notoriously unforgiving, show mistakes readily, but in a live situation with another guitarist using a boogie/peavey nothing else matches it for the ability to cut.

It does sound like you've got the wrong sort of amp.

Greenbacks won't help either; I love them for their very middy sound, but they have no bass and no power handling and really exemplify that you've bought the polar opposite of your previous rig...

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hey, I dig Alter Bridge's tones too, but they're pure Recto.

·
Cthulhu Contractor
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, well I fooled around with it for quite some time months ago, and I sort liked it. Then I got the RK like 2 months ago and loved it. But since I had no cab and I was getting Cobra head + cab it sounded like a good deal to me, the thing is, after I've got it and had time to REALLY test it, I've got very disappointed. Its not that the amp sucks or anything, actally it is quite a good amp, it is just not my thing, really :/

·
Cthulhu Contractor
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
but in a live situation with another guitarist using a boogie/peavey nothing else matches it for the ability to cut.

Greenbacks won't help either; I love them for their very middy sound, but they have no bass and no power handling and really exemplify that you've bought the polar opposite of your previous rig...
True to both statements, you hit the nail in the head:yesway:

·
Cthulhu Contractor
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I guess I will just sell it and get myself another RK or perhaps go for a Mark IV or V.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What i would do is bang some celestion T75s in and they should fix a large portion of your low end troubles especially as the greenbacks have virtually no low end whilst the T75s have quite a large chunk

or maybe even v30s/t75s

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I owned a Cobra for a while. I also own a Road King. If you dig the RK sounds, you're not going to be happy with the Cobra. The Cobra is a very "Marshall" voiced amp, which is pretty much the opposite of the Road King.

If you want to get close to that sound, trade the Cobra for a used Mesa Triple Rec. It won't have the wealth of clean and semi-dirty options that the RK does, but the high gain sounds will fit the bill perfectly.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Just throwing this out there...I believe the Framus Dragon would actually get closer to that sound than the Cobra. The cobra is more mid rangey like a modded Marshall. The Dragon reminds me a bit of a Recto with EL34s but with even more low end.

Best video I found...seems like he EQ'd out some of the low end afterwards though.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Pm sent. I gotta triple recto I might trade you. It has the series loop mod done aswell.

·
Cthulhu Contractor
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What i would do is bang some celestion T75s in and they should fix a large portion of your low end troubles especially as the greenbacks have virtually no low end whilst the T75s have quite a large chunk

or maybe even v30s/t75s
Well, I have a pair of Black Shadows in the mail, do you think it would do anything for me??:scratch:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts