Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy across the country who wants me to do post sound on his movie film, which is to premier in 3 weeks. Thing is, its like 700 gb, and even if I get him to compress it, it's going to be about 6 gb, and then theres the question of me sending my sound work back to him.

Any one got any suggestions as to the best way to transfer files of this magnitude?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Yup, FTP. You're going to have to have one hell of a hosting plan for a 700 gb file, though.

Are you going to want to do post sound on a compressed file? I know this may sound crazy, but if you decide to work on the original, what about getting him to dump it on a portable hard drive and mailing it to you?

6 gigs has a few options, 700 gigs I don't really think does.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, FTP. You're going to have to have one hell of a hosting plan for a 700 gb file, though.

Are you going to want to do post sound on a compressed file? I know this may sound crazy, but if you decide to work on the original, what about getting him to dump it on a portable hard drive and mailing it to you?

6 gigs has a few options, 700 gigs I don't really think does.
I've worked on a couple features locally, and except for when I worked on the finished mix with the director and producers, we just used a compressed video. That's fine for us sound folk, as long as its not compressed to shit, of course. Also, it saves us space on our machines for what we do best.

I've considered having him mail it to me, but with the premier in 3 weeks, and taking into consideration the time needed to send it back and have him make sure everything is ready to go, that'll give me about a week. yeesh

·
Read Only
10 Posts
He's going to need to split that into segments. Do NOT download a 700GB file as one big file. :lol:

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
I've worked on a couple features locally, and except for when I worked on the finished mix with the director and producers, we just used a compressed video. That's fine for us sound folk, as long as its not compressed to shit, of course. Also, it saves us space on our machines for what we do best.

I've considered having him mail it to me, but with the premier in 3 weeks, and taking into consideration the time needed to send it back and have him make sure everything is ready to go, that'll give me about a week. yeesh
Overnight it fedex. Should be like $15-20 to do it. :shrug:

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's going to need to split that into segments. Do NOT download a 700GB file as one big file. :lol:
:lol:

I've been trying to get him to compress it a bit. There's no reason for me to work off of a file that big.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If he has a decent internet connection, you can snag it with a download manager (Flashget for Windows, iGetter for OSX), that will segment it and give you reliable resume.

Still, have him use WinRar, and split it into 2GB segments. If you straight download that, and it fails at 699GB, you'll hang yourself. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
If he has a decent internet connection, you can snag it with a download manager (Flashget for Windows, iGetter for OSX), that will segment it and give you reliable resume.

Still, have him use WinRar, and split it into 2GB segments. If you straight download that, and it fails at 699GB, you'll hang yourself. :lol:
FACKIN TRUTHFACT

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Yeah, using fedex overnight to ship a safely packed hard drive is your best bet. When I lived in Nashville, I found out that this was the primary way of accomplishing what you are describing, short of someone actually flying to the place and taking the hard drive. People did this all the time to ship something to be mastered or something.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is sendspace or yousendit still free?
Yea, but only for like...100 mb files....

FACKIN TRUTHFACT
:lol: I essentially had the same thought, Max. I'm definitely gonna give this a shot, Chris.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
For 700 GB? Have him put it on an external HD and FedEx it to you. Trying to do that via FTP is going to be a nightmare.

For the amount of time beetween the two of you to compress, segment, upload/download and re-assemble, he could just copy it onto a hard drive and overnight it.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
^^yep. WinRAR will take forever to create 350 2GB files, then for you to download 700 GB of data, then for winRAR to join 350 2GB files. Will take SO MUCH TIME.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All right. Well if he won't compress it at all, then i'll definitely have him send me the drive. If i can get him to compress it to a tolerable level, then we'll look into the iGetter and winrar stuff that Chris mentioned.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Overnight it fedex. Should be like $15-20 to do it. :shrug:
Yeah that is what I would do (it is what we do for videos we produce at work)
Ftp has a habit of crapping out when you really need it to work (at least for me it does) and if you are on shared hosting - forget it (they all throttle ftp)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It's pretty easy to build an FTP server out of an old computer, but 700GB is really brutal. I do it now with SFTP to my friend's house, but with just audio bundles from GarageBand; far, far smaller in size.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It's pretty easy to build an FTP server out of an old computer, but 700GB is really brutal. I do it now with SFTP to my friend's house, but with just audio bundles from GarageBand; far, far smaller in size.
I have Comcast. If you were to download 700GB from me, it would finish about this time tomorrow. Of 2013. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts