Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave a search, but didn't see anything. Anyone ever use one of these travel guitars? I'm looking at the Speedster or the EG-1, but the Ultra Lights (both acoustic and electric) are interesting too.

I have to admit, I don't know too much about hardware so I'm not 100% what the difference on them all. Pickups / string types, sure, and wood types, solid vs. bolt on necks. But I don't know the exact impact that it will all have.

The EG-1 is a bit more expensive, but the built in headphone AMP is pretty handy looking. Plus, its just a neat looking little guitar.

As far as I can tell, the ultra-light electric and Speedster have the same pickups - if the difference is only aesthetic, I may just get the ultralight.

Anyways, any insights / reviews / thoughts on them would be appreciated!

Argh, can't post links yet. I'll edit them in later.

You can see what I'm talking about on Musicians Friend if you search for:

Speedster

Ultra-Light Electric

EG-1 Vintage

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I used to work for a dealer. Go for the EG1/EG2, all the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you had to choose between the 2? I mean, it seems the main difference is 1 vs. 2 humbuckers?

I'm also a pretty cheap bastard - I really just need something that will be satisfactory to noodle on while on the road (which I am, a lot). Now, thats not to say that if its really worth shelling out another 150-200 to go from an ultralight to the EG1/2 I won't do it. But I want to make sure its really worth while.

I'll have my iphone with an ampkit plus my laptop with a Toneport UX1, so while the built in headphone amp is handy, its not necessary.

Oh, and thanks for the info!

Edit: I play both acoustic and electric, but I'd have to say I probably write more on the acoustic. The ultra-light acoustic is tempting...but, frankly, I'd buy all of them at this point if I could.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I dunno, depends on the day of the week :lol:

Probably the EG2, but it just depends on if you want a humbucker or 2 singles. Id grab the 2 and throw a single sized humbucker in the bridge

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Added some links to your first post for you. :yesway:

Of those three, the EG1 is what I'd probably go for, mostly because it looks the most guitar-ish. I guess it depends on portability vs tone, and what you plan to do with it. The most portable/lightest will probably not sound the best, and I assume vice versa.

Definitely let us know what you end up going with, because as someone who also travels a shitload, I really need to pick something like this up. I don't trust the TSA with my underwear, let alone one of my guitars.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I have a Hohner G3T that is insanely small. I know it's a lot of hassle to get the special strings but that could be an option :shrug:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You could also get a Steinberger Spirit "broom handle" or M-type guitar. Small, portable, and can be found for pretty cheaply. Plus you can get a string retainer that lets you use more than double-ball strings if you need to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You could also get a Steinberger Spirit "broom handle" or M-type guitar. Small, portable, and can be found for pretty cheaply. Plus you can get a string retainer that lets you use more than double-ball strings if you need to.
Says the dick who brings his fullsize 800-inch-scale Dingwall bass on the plane and puts it in the overhead. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The Pro Series looks very interesting. Both piezo and single coil. Would need a Lil' JB or a Tone Zone S or something.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
its unique internal resonant pickup system with the included stethophone headset, which allows for private listening without batteries or an amp.
That's intriguing as hell.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Says the dick who brings his fullsize 800-inch-scale Dingwall bass on the plane and puts it in the overhead. :lol:
:lol:

Usually I put it in the Captain's closet.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Probably works the same was as pressing your ear up against the side of the guitar body, but without the serious neck pain, and only looking about half as strange :yesway:
Is that because of the transfer of sound waves, Leon?

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
[action=Buzz]ponders the potential outcomes of taping the bell of a stethoscope to a guitar body and then playing.[/action]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I remembered my brother in law had one of these - the acoustic ultralight, I think. I'll be picking it up my next trip home and give it a shot. I'll post up my impressions. If its even half as good as the reviews state, I'm thinking an EG1 or EG2 (that will depend on the wife! So it may just be a Speedster) might be in my future.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I think it's really awesome that they've got one with both piezo and a mag. For someone sitting in a hotel, that'd be super useful to be able to record both electric and acoustic tones.

Fishman needs to make an Aura plugin!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So I played one of these yesterday while waiting for the nice man at GC to sort my Stiletto mess. I think it was the LP midget model, the EG-1. I was quite impressed! Not the greatest tone ever, but the neck felt really nice. I don't know if it's oiled or just a satin finish, but it wasn't sticky, and the shape felt great. The construction for a Chinese instrument was particularly good too, better than I expected. It was actually at the point where I was surprised to see it was MIC, not MIK.

For the money, it seems to be a no-brainer if you travel a lot. This plus an Apogee Jam and a MacBook would be a fantastic travel setup.

EDIT

And please, Leon, I beg of you: please change your profile pic. I know you're a mighty mod, and thus I have little to no say, but everytime I see that pic, it gives me nightmares. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts