and I feel like the string tension is way heavier
and I feel playing is a little harder.

I know that the spring configuration affects of course the
feeling of the tremolo, but is that affecting also the
way the strings feel under my fingers?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you're using the same string gages in the same tuning, then the string tension is no different from before. Tension is directly related to string gage and pitch. Well, the other way around, anyways :lol:

What you might be experiencing is a slightly different spring constant. All springs have a force constant, k. You may remember Hooke's Law from high school Physics. It's the same thing. Only, springs aren't always as uniform in real life versus in theory, so there's probably a k gradient as you stretch the springs. Changing the length-stretch-at-rest of the springs in the back could be changing k on them, thus changing how you might perceive the tension on the strings when you do a bend, vibrato, etc.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there's more spring tension, the bridge won't pull up as much when you bend, so it'll feel like bending is harder.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there's more spring tension, the bridge won't pull up as much when you bend, so it'll feel like bending is harder.
Yeah, that makes sense but, even if I can't describe how, I felt the strings
being "harder" also in "normal" fretting the notes, not bending or vibrating.
That must be just my mind.

anyway, what is the less tension spring configuration as far as you know ?
want to try that, as with the 4 parallel spring configuration I felt the strings
almost slipped under my fingers when bending.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

Except, there isn't, because then he'd be tuned higher :)

String tension = Spring tension

You can't change one without the other.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Except, there isn't, because then he'd be tuned higher :)

String tension = Spring tension

You can't change one without the other.
sorry, you must be wrong here.
if there was only one kind of tension from the tremolo springs,
corrensponding to only one string tension = tuning,
it would be impossible to tune a guitar with different
configurations of tremolo springs.

To make an example, the guitar had 4 springs , now
has 3, the tension must be different, but i'm still
able to tune the guitar.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
sorry, you must be wrong here.
if there was only one kind of tension from the tremolo springs,
corrensponding to only one string tension = tuning,
it would be impossible to tune a guitar with different
configurations of tremolo springs.

To make an example, the guitar had 4 springs , now
has 3, the tension must be different, but i'm still
able to tune the guitar.
No, Leon is right. It is a force balance between string tension and spring tension. However, there are other factors, such as how far the spring is stretched.

As Leon already quite correctly stated, spring force is = k* delta x, where k is the spring constant, and delta x is the change in length between a stretched spring and the same spring at rest.

The kicker is that the spring constant, k, is not always constant. It is a function of delta x, so if you have 4 springs that aren't as stretched, they *can* provide the same tension as 3 that are.

Also, note that when you add springs, you usually (read always) have to adjust the claw position on the trem, which adjust the spring tension. Same thing when you change string gauges or tunings. You can tune a guitar without doing this, but the bridge won't stay nice and flush to the body.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Less tension....
3 straight springs
3 arrowed springs (the 2 outer springs add a bit more tension because they are stretched further. Kind of a middle tension when 3 straight is not enough & 4 straight is too much)
4 straight springs
5 straight springs
More Tension.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i learned in high school that breast size is directly proportional to the amount of bounce multiplied by speed of the girl running.
^ :rofl:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Less tension....
3 straight springs
3 arrowed springs (the 2 outer springs add a bit more tension because they are stretched further. Kind of a middle tension when 3 straight is not enough & 4 straight is too much)
4 straight springs
5 straight springs
More Tension.
This is correct. The angles springs would give more tension.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, let's say you're not wrong, but the others explained it better :)

Anyway, my dilemma is here :
I have 2 guitars

1 ) Jackson Dinky, 25.5 scale, tuned standard 3 arrowed springs,
string gauge 9 - 46

2 ) Jackson Slat 3 7 ( just arrived, I'm trying to set it up )
25.5 scale, 7 strings, tuned half step down, 3 arrowed springs,
string gauge 9 - 46 ( + 60 for the 7th )

The Dinky is just perfect for my playing.
The Slat 3 7 is a bit harder ( to me ) , and it's tuned 1 half step down!
when I do bendings I feel the string opposes a lot of resistance,
and it's even harder when I bend at the point of having to push the
next lower string aswell, sometimes the string just slips off my fingers.

Ok, someone will tell " man up and grow some strenght" , I accept that,
but I've bought the Slat 3 7 because I wanted just a 7 string version
of my favourite guitar, that is my Dinky.
So why the fuck I can't seem to have the same playability?

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
You have more spring tension on the 7, to counteract the increased string tension. About 17% more.

Plus, the springs might have a different feel to them. Trem springs all look the same but can have very different characteristics depending on the steel used. You could try swapping the springs between the guitars to see if there's a difference in feel. You could try 2 springs in the 7 if the claw allows for enough tension adjustment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have more spring tension on the 7, to counteract the increased string tension. About 17% more.

Plus, the springs might have a different feel to them. Trem springs all look the same but can have very different characteristics depending on the steel used. You could try swapping the springs between the guitars to see if there's a difference in feel. You could try 2 springs in the 7 if the claw allows for enough tension adjustment.
yeah, that makes sense, i'll try a smaller gauge, instead of tweaking with springs, to see if I get any better feelin...

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Your 5 springs are mostly in the 'closed' position, relative to the 3 in an arrow which were more 'open'. 'Open' springs give easier than 'closed' ones, even at the same tension.

This is why a guitar with 2 high tension springs is spongy as hell even without changing gauges. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts