Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work great. :yesway:

Products

Just slapped one in my Carvin. "Install" time was about 9 seconds, and 3 of that was switching from the drill bit for my pilot hole to a phillips bit.

Overpriced like a motherfucker, because two of them cost me almost $30 shipped for what equates to about two bucks worth of parts, but that aside - if you want a quick and easy way to go dive only, get 'em. :yesway:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had one of those in my RG and it worked great but I find I like using guitar picks taped to the trem block more, it's time consuming but cheap and I don't have to drill any holes in my guitar.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid question: how is this different from a Tremol-No?
This is a (ooo, chrome!) L-Bracket and a threaded rod with an allen key on the end for adjustment. You just screw the bracket in, and the rod pokes out and acts as a stop for your trem block so that it can't dive. What I did was adjust it so that the bridge was completely level, then added a spring to keep extra tension on it.

Worked great, and it'll help the bridge resist pulling up during bends and such because there's a lot more tension pulling the bridge back down than there would be if it was full floating.

And also because you could buy 5 of these for the price of one T-No. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Hm. So the trem is now pull-up only (and very stiff at that), and how do you find bending? Is it more ... linear? ... like a hardtail?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You could totally leave it normally tense, fwiw soop

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You could totally leave it normally tense, fwiw soop
Probably, but the extra spring + the fact that I play 11's = it can't hurt to have a little extra tension. The bridge doesn't move at all when I bend now. :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Soopstradamus said:
But then wouldn't that eliminate the "keeps the bridge down while bending" factor?
Yea, but out would still keep it in tine if you broke a string / /make restricts easier

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The Tremol-No allows you to go back and forth between full floating, locked, and dive-only. And you don't have to drill into your guitar to install it.

And mine works :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yea, but out would still keep it in tine if you broke a string / /make restricts easier
How is it not easier if the bridge is flat when restringing? The extra tension is akin to just blocking the other side as well, it's just that I can pull it up a tad if I need to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Tremol-No allows you to go back and forth between full floating, locked, and dive-only. And you don't have to drill into your guitar to install it.

And mine works :D
$10, 5-second install vs $50 20-minute install, and you can put your cavity cover back on and forget about it with the stops.

They're apples and oranges.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Agreed. If you want dive-only and that's it, the trem-stop (or a trip to your local hardware store) is definitely the way to go.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Chris said:

How is it not easier if the bridge is flat when restringing? The extra tension is akin to just blocking the other side as well, it's just that I can pull it up a tad if I need to.
I meant compared to not having one. The staying flat during bends is a trade off for the stiffer dives. Either way, it stays in tune for restrings/broken strings.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I meant compared to not having one. The staying flat during bends is a trade off for the stiffer dives. Either way, it stays in tune for restrings/broken strings.
Aaah, gotcha. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts