Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard a comment on a different website that he uses 13-56 strings for Eb tuning.:ugh: Can anyone confirm or deny this either way, as I find it hard to believe that wouldn't bow the necks on his guitars, even with the Eb tuning?

·
GoDDDammit.
196 Posts
:shrug:SRV played 60's. Doesn't seem impossible, and considering that Trey whacks the absolute shit out of the strings I'd think he'd probably need them too.

EDIT: now that I think about it, Skolnick plays 13's these days too, doesn't he?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:shrug:SRV played 60's. Doesn't seem impossible, and considering that Trey whacks the absolute shit out of the strings I'd think he'd probably need them too.

EDIT: now that I think about it, Skolnick plays 13's these days too, doesn't he?
Yeah, Skol uses 13s, just so when he goes back to playing his jazz gigs he won't have lost any finger strength.

The main thing that seems wierd about Trey using them, even though he probably would want heavier strings for his picking attack, is the Wizard-style necks on most of his guitars...it can't be doing them much good.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I run 12-52 tuned to E standard on my Squier '51, and I ran a 13-74 baritone set (with high 11) on my Dean Evo 7 for a while tuned to B standard... I don't think it'll damage the guitar, although I wouldn't do it on my Soloist with its thin neck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts