Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am by no means a Trivium fan, but I found it interesting to see a professional touring band's rehearsal which has made me realize why none of my previous bands have gotten anywhere. :lol:

Gibson should definitely produce a white seven string Explorer along with the black one currently available; great looking guitar!

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Love this song. I always enjoy these types of videos, I wish more bands would do them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I saw them live I had the impression that Corey has a better scream/growl than Matt, and from this vid I can say I was right.
Good band.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
That was kinda cool. I'd almost rather see videos like this than traditional style music videos. Assuming the production was equal or greater. I'm meh about trivium, but seeing other bands do this would be awesome.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
:shrug:

Other than the larger warehouse and cameras it looks basically like any band rehearsal I've done. What's so different about this that what you normally do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried to like these guys, I really have. Cool vid, though. I like to see if a band can reasonably reproduce their sound, and maybe add something you don't get on their studio product.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:shrug:

Other than the larger warehouse and cameras it looks basically like any band rehearsal I've done. What's so different about this that what you normally do?
I didn't mean a difference in rehearsal space; I meant in the band's playing.

I'm presuming this isn't overdubbed, but this is a tight performance; which I've never experienced to the level in the video above myself. Maybe it's the caliber of musician. On top of that, each of the guitarists have vocals good enough for backing vocals, which is always handy. :yesway:

They sound better than Metallica do in their 'tuning room' performances IMO.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I am no Trivium fan, but that Explorer sounds fantastic.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'd like these guys more without the screaming, but I get that it's the style.

I enjoyed this vid a bunch. Very tight performance, and that Explorer does sound amazing.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I'm presuming this isn't overdubbed, but this is a tight performance; which I've never experienced to the level in the video above myself. Maybe it's the caliber of musician.
All band members playing with clicktrack-via-inear brings you pretty fast to a whole new level in terms of tightness.

EDIT: tough, the beginning of this is sloppy as fuck, daaaaamn. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
these guys just seem to continue to suck metallicas dick. i kept seeing little things and going "metallica" "and here" "and here". seems to be working for them. I bet they sell tickets and merch like bastards

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
these guys just seem to continue to suck metallicas dick. i kept seeing little things and going "metallica" "and here" "and here". seems to be working for them. I bet they sell tickets and merch like bastards
:agreed:

Unfortunately, it is Black album Metallica, too.

·
18,790 Posts
That was tight as hell, and I dug it :yesway: Hell, I watched it twice.

You'll notice the guys walking over to the drum kit or around the room when they're not needing to be at the mic: that's a planned part of the rehearsal, as it's a planned part of the performance. Getting into the habit of not being next to your mic/pedalboard unless you actually have to be is harder than it looks, and making sure you get back to where you need to be, when you need to be, is even harder. When you're playing stages the size they are, it's absolutely vital. Because anyone who's seen Opeth on a big stage will tell you that no one wants to see four guys just standing around, especially if you're not in the front row. (Luckily, I saw Opeth on a tiny stage in a medium size club, and it worked excellently in that setting)

·
18,790 Posts
:agreed:

Unfortunately, it is Black album Metallica, too.
Considering Corey's the same age as "Kill 'Em All" and Matt's a few years younger (both around the same age as me), it's likely the Black Album was their introduction to metal (as it was for me). Not saying there isn't better stuff out there, but we always have a soft spot for our first, y'know? :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts