Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just retubed my 2/90/2 and now I notice a hum from my amp. Obvious answer would be tubes, but it's happening on both sides (only retubed channel A). The hum could have been there before and I didn't notice. It's not a ground loop because it does it without any input. It's more like AC hum.

Would that be some caps going bad? I can live with it, but it just has me worrying, since my 2/90/2 was made in 96.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First person (*cough*STITCH*cough*) to post a picture of the god damn Fubar tool gets a cock punch :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
ROFL 1159!

Have you tested it at multiple locations? What else is plugged into the same outlets?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried it plugged into my power conditioner, that has my pre-amp and Axe on it, and also straight into another socket, no change. The socket is also on a different breaker.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
does it have preamp tubes in it? Does it correspond with the volume level?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does it have preamp tubes in it? Does it correspond with the volume level?
Yup, a 12AU7 and 12AX7. Swapped them out for the originals, then with channel B.

how cranked is it? does it do it at lower volumes?
Does it at lower volumes, when I crank it, the noise stays the same level.

Best I can figure is either a couple caps going bad, or some kind of grounding issue. There is no input, so it shouldn't be a ground loop.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Even so, does it have a ground lift switch? Tried removing it from the rack?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Try the old two-prong adapter. Otherwise, might be a cap going bad. Did you swap the power tubes back out, to see if it follows?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nah, because I'd have to bias it, but it does it on channel B as well. Like I said, it might have been doing it before and never noticed. When playing I usually have the TV on to practice while I watch movies, or music to play along to. Haven't jammed in awhile, but I had planned to start again soon with my drummer, hence the getting new tubes to make sure it's all in tip top shape.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Damn man, this is one tough cookie! Have you contacted Fryette directly to see if this is something unusual?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Someone here had the same issue with one iirc and found a bad cap

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Damn man, this is one tough cookie! Have you contacted Fryette directly to see if this is something unusual?
Not yet. They'll probably ask me to ship it to them though, and seeing as I'll get raped on shipping, then customs fees on the way back, it would pretty much be worth it to just buy a new 2/90/2 since this one is so old :lol: That, or just live with the hum.

does it do this with no preamp hooked up/no guitar?
Yup. It's sitting outside of my rack, no input and no guitar or anything plugged in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts