Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying out the new sim from LePou plug-ins based on a Dual Rectifier. It's incredibly... recto-y :lol: This isn't anything to do with band stuff, just a few riffs I knocked together... badly. Played around with different drum sounds etc too, to get a really heavy death kinda vibe.

Here's a clip http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/LeCto.mp3

And here's the signal chain (minus the impulses, because there are "settings" so I thought it was irrelevant), but it was two different Mesa 4x12 impulses, one per side, quad tracked.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dudes :scream:

That`s a crushing sound. What Guitar/Pups are you using to ?
LTD M-307 with EMG 81-7 and 60-7. I love this guitar, and these pickups!

:eek:

I listened to the clip on my phone. I didn't realize there were software ampsims out there that sound THAT good.
There is these days man! I still think the best is Peavey ReValver, but these free ones are a fantastic close second. The problem is most people's perspective of amp modelling is from Line 6 gear, which is horribly out dated and is being surpassed by people making sims for a hobby :nuts:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drop them in your VST plugins folder, which should be c:/program files/vst plugins, or /reaper (or whatever it's called)/vst plugins

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not up yet because it's just the beta test, but you can get it from the LeCto thread on the Sneap forum, but just in case you don't go there, or can't be bothered, just click here

I never got on with the TSE, it was too fluffy/woolly/undefined for my tastes, but it would be nice for leads I think.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah right! Yeah he hasn't made a Mac version of any of his plug-ins yet, but he's planning on it in the very near future

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
76Gb, holy fuck :lol: Tbh though I've nearly filled my secondary 125Gb drive, but about 80Gb of that is DFHS and Metal Foundry.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This could be totally psychological since I KNOW it's a modeler, it could be because the Roadster runs a bit darker than normal, because I've never cared for EMGs, or because of your settings (which sound pretty saturated), but to me that doesn't really sound like a Recto. It's too bright and buzzy in the high end, and seems to be missing most of the low-mid growl. It sounds like a caricature of the amp more than the amp, though it's missing the wash of bass you'd expect from someone truly trying to exaggerate the amp.
Actually, that's closer to what of the death metal guys dial them in like, where it's more like a 5150 with more bass. They're essentially the same amp, after all. The buzziness comes from turning the presence knob on channel 3 anywhere above about 10:00. It starts washing out the midrange, too. The presence knob is extremely powerful, since it is after the preamp, in the power section.

While this is not a sound I would ever go for, it's pretty good at hitting what it is aiming for.
Yeah this, pretty much! It's not "my" sound either, it's not the kind of tone I would use but I'm just playing about with it, trying to push the brutal boat out with it a bit since I've always wondered how all the big death bands manage to get that massive wall-of-guitar sound with Rectos.

And Drew, it really is just the settings and processing that have kind of "un-recto'd" it I think. I'll have to do another track in a different style so you can hear one of the other channels perhaps. I took the bass nearly all the way down, not to mention scooped the low mids on the post-EQ, presence is sitting fairly high (12 o'clock-ish) just to kind of dial it in for this style.

I'll have to do some old school thrash or something, get the really gritty grindy recto beast in action!

Hey Matt, is there any way you could upload a track of just guitars? I am trying to understand the EQ curve better, and I like your tone, so I am trying to get frequency shapes related to tones I like.
Yeah sure man, here;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/LeCto guitars only.mp3

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
EDIT: Here you go Drew, I just mixed down the same guitar track for now so you can hear the recto-ness.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/recto-y.mp3

Didn't have much time to play with settings so I could probably make it better than that, but if you compare it to the guitar-only mix-down I did up there ^ it's much more recto-like than I had it before!

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks, man - I'll listen tonight. :metal: I appreciate your taking the time to do that.
Not a problem dude.
I did another one too, only solo'd 2 of the 4 guitars this time though so you can really hear it, and spent a bit more time on getting that real recto sound, here;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/very recto.mp3

That's on the "raw" setting.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ah, I left the boost in the chain... could that be it? Either way, it's a good sim regardless of its accuracy. Also, it's only a beta test version thus far, I'm sure there will be tweaks made before the final release!

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah man downloaded it the other day, still haven't had a use for it yet though. I may as well throw it on this clip just to compare. I'll do it later on tonight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.