Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to try and write a radio friendly hard rock song last night :D. Partly because I've been listening to a lot of it lately, and I also wanted to see what kind of mix I could do for it. It is pretty generic (I'm sure I've ripped off something for that little lead part in the chorus, no idea what though :lol:) but I've had a blast doing this!

No vocals (not sure if I'll be doing any, might find someone who can actually sing to do some though) and please excuse my solo :lol: I'm a horrible lead player so I just comped it from a few takes of "improvising" ideas. Still lots more work to be done on the mix, and I want to add some wah guitar somewhere in there.

Comments, criticism and cries of "SELLOUT!! :scream:" are all welcome :metal:

Updated mix from page 2:

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually like it :yesway: But then, I love a lot of radio hard rock. It sounds like an edgier Nickelback/Seether/Saliva/etc. Incidentally, exactly the kind of hard rock stuff I tend to (try to) write :lol:
Glad you like it man! I was trying to go for a bit of a randy staub-esque vibe with the mix on this, obviously nowhere near that level though.

lol, that might actually get played, a lot. But.

SELLOUT :scream:
It feels good! :scream: Cheers!

Any glaring issues with the mix you guys can hear? I'm mixing on the less than ideal environment of headphones and some logitech 2.1 speakers :lol: So I'm not sure right now how it's translating to other systems.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
sounds good on my crappy logitech surrounds, and waaay better than I'll ever get it on my krk's. nothing really popped out at first listen.

Edit: there's something about the crash, it's like it gets cut off? did you compress it?

·
18,790 Posts
Glad you like it man! I was trying to go for a bit of a randy staub-esque vibe with the mix on this, obviously nowhere near that level though.

It feels good! :scream: Cheers!

Any glaring issues with the mix you guys can hear? I'm mixing on the less than ideal environment of headphones and some logitech 2.1 speakers :lol: So I'm not sure right now how it's translating to other systems.
Mix sounds pretty solid to me. :yesway: I might personally warm up the guitars slightly as they're a little bright, but it works as is too.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds good on my crappy logitech surrounds, and waaay better than I'll ever get it on my krk's. nothing really popped out at first listen.

Edit: there's something about the crash, it's like it gets cut off? did you compress it?
Thanks Kim! Yeah they are quite compressed, a lot of the cymbal's sound is coming from the really squished room mic as well. I quite like the sound, but I may try and get them to pump a bit less.

Mix sounds pretty solid to me. :yesway: I might personally warm up the guitars slightly as they're a little bright, but it works as is too.
Cheers man, I know what you mean about the brightness, might readjust them slightly. The guitar itself is really bright though, was finding it hard to tame it without making the sound too dull.

Tune down quite a bit lower and it'll sound like old school SOiL. :yesway: Then you just need to find a singer as badass as SOiL's OLD singer (before he joined Drowning Pool, which deems him false).
Halo! :metal: Cheers Chris, appreciate the comments. :D

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your recording setup. Details.
Drums are Superior 2, default avatar kit I believe (only using two of the toms though). Kick is mixed with a slate sample, Snare is mixed with a slate sample as well and another one that I'm not sure where I got it from.

Guitars are a (don't laugh :p) Squier strat in drop C, belonged to my brother and I found it in a cupboard recently. It's been satisfying my urge for a six string to mess around on and I'm quite digging the single coil sound.

Chain for the guitars is Profire instrument input > TSE808 > Poulin Lecto beta > Keifr with a recto 4x12 impulse I think.

Bass is just pitch shifted guitar, until I figure out why my bass isn't working :lol:

All done with free plugins (plus the ones provided in Reaper).

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a KxK but you used a squire? What is this? :lol:
:lol: My KxK doesn't do Drop C so well, and while it plays like a dream I've been feeling kind of underwhelmed by the sound lately. A pickup change is in order I think, but alas I am a broke bastard so no idea when that's gonna happen!

Plus like I say, I'm quite digging the sound of single coils. I do believe I now have Strat GAS, which something I never thought I would have :(

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Bass is just pitch shifted guitar, until I figure out why my bass isn't working :lol:
Its pretty convincing. I've got Really good results using Ampeg SVX with a pitch shifted bass, and using impulses instead of the stock cabs. Pretty inspiring to hear how great your mix is and then read your mixing on basically the same thing I have. Headphones and some Altek computer speakers with a tiny sub.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updated the mix a little today:

Brightened the snare up a little bit, added some low mids to the guitars, tried to get the bass a bit more under control (keeps jumping out on the low C). Also added some wah lead parts in the choruses, because wah is fun :lol:

Also had a bit of an idea today. Seeing as I am growing to hate my solo every time I hear it, I figured it'd be cool to upload the backing sans solo and see what everyone else could do over it. Not a contest or anything, just think it'd be cool to hear different approaches to the same backing :yesway:

Would anyone actually be up for that? :lol:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Also had a bit of an idea today. Seeing as I am growing to hate my solo every time I hear it, I figured it'd be cool to upload the backing sans solo and see what everyone else could do over it. Not a contest or anything, just think it'd be cool to hear different approaches to the same backing :yesway:

Would anyone actually be up for that? :lol:
I'd take a crack at it. :yesway:

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the backing for the solo if anyone wants to take a crack at it :D: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4379134/rock hard solo backing.mp3

Make sure and post it up if you do!

Also did another song tonight, although I don't think it's as good. Bit heavier and more straightforward, but I thought I'd throw it up here anyway:

This one might be too heavy for radio though :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts