Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i am getting ready to pull the trigger here, just going over what i will be using the power the axe fx.

At this time i want to run it through my Vader 4x12 (just love the way it sounds, and looks live), so I'm probably not going to go the "personal" monitor route.

I also don't want to run it through my ENGL Invader (i don't like to gig with this amp because its too valuable and took me forever to save up for it, id rather use it for studio and band practice).

So here are my options:

Tubepower amps:

VHT 2/90/2 (found one for around 1k used, is this a good deal? From what i read it sounds better than the Carvin / any other route)

Carvin T / TS 100 (can be found for around 400 - 500)

Solid State

DCM1540L (the cheapest option, but will it be loud enough? and how will this feel?)

I wanted to get your opinions before i drop cash on an amp, what have you had the best luck with?

**EDIT**

Just to clarify, money is "somewhat" of an issue, however tone trumps money (at least to a reasonable degree)

Also one more option,

There is a "cheap" Carvin V3 that i can use for the power section for sale locally, is the a "non ideal set up"?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You should get a new Randall RT2/50, because it can midi-switch between a 50w 6L6 power section and a 50w EL34 one.

And, if you don't like it, you can then sell it to me at a "used" price :D

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You should get a new Randall RT2/50, because it can midi-switch between a 50w 6L6 power section and a 50w EL34 one.

And, if you don't like it, you can then sell it to me at a "used" price :D
Dude im not going to get any girls play a Randall :p

Kidding asides, I'm pretty much set on EL34 (if i go tube); so this might be a bit over kill.

How would it tonally compare to other power amps?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'd say go for a solid state power amp, and use the power amp modeling in the Axe-FX.

Stick your effects loop after the power amp module in the Axe-FX, then run the effects send to your power amp and Vader.

This gives you two options: mic the Vader on stage, or run direct line out to the FOH from the Axe-FX.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
No idea. I just think it's cool that you can midi switch between the two, and I really want one to pair with my TriAxis.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Carvin 1540L is plenty of power for not much weight; however, I'd be tempted to run a 20/20 myself since I love EL84s.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Carvin 1540L is plenty of power for not much weight; however, I'd be tempted to run a 20/20 myself since I love EL84s.
I love EL84's also, but im afraid it might not be enough "juice" for band practice, our drummer has his whole set "triggered" so we really need to get up their in volume to keep up (thanks god for ear plugs).

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say go for a solid state power amp, and use the power amp modeling in the Axe-FX.

Stick your effects loop after the power amp module in the Axe-FX, then run the effects send to your power amp and Vader.

This gives you two options: mic the Vader on stage, or run direct line out to the FOH from the Axe-FX.
Great idea, FOH stand for floor over head?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
FWIW, my TriAxis/MosValve rig kept up with a monster drummer :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You can pick up a MosValve for the same reason I got mine: something to run with until you can get something better (for me, the RT2/50) :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Go tubes. It has a significantly different feel. If you already have the axe, take it you a music store in town and try a ss power amp verses a tube one. then you'll know what -you- prefer.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
My Axe FX / Mesa 2:90 rig sounds like god. :yesway:

I will probably always have a tube power amp. They're just awesome.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I really like it with my 1540L. I think it sounds better than using it with my Peavey 50/50 (EL84), and just using one channel, it gets ridiculously loud with my V30 4x12.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
If you're powering a traditional guitar cab, get a tube power amp. Trust me, it makes a real difference. You can still use the power amp sims in the Axe-FX and run the power amp at low volume, so that it's putting out a "clean" signal. Even running at low volume, a tube amp introduces some helpful complexity and "three-dimensionality" that you don't get with an Axe-FX/SS amp combo, particularly when palm-muting.

To that end, you're probably better off with a decently powerful amp, since the lower/cleaner you can run it at, the better. What you *don't* need with the Axe-FX is tube saturation & compression from running the tubes hot, since the sim provides those effects.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts