Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Madcap Funster
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use one as a pre amp and set on low distortion gain to get that extra clunk for more extreme metal sounds.

I have the cheap 1980`s Ibanez model. Does anyone have a more expensive 1970`s one ? or another pedal that they like to use as a pre amp in a similar way ?

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
This isn't 70s like you asked for, but I've always been a big fan of the BB Preamp pedal because it doesn't strip out your lows on you and has independent bass/treble knobs. The new one has a mid knob on it too. Sounds great on it's own as well, but it's a bit pricier than most tubescreamers.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I use one as a pre amp and set on low distortion gain to get that extra clunk for more extreme metal sounds.

I have the cheap 1980`s Ibanez model. Does anyone have a more expensive 1970`s one ? or another pedal that they like to use as a pre amp in a similar way ?
By "cheap 1980's" do you mean the plastic SoundTank ones?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have a TS7 that mr. OvChaos modded.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I'm a fan of boosting. My fav OD I owned was a Monte Allums modded TS808. If I ever get another OD, it will be another one of those.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I prefer my Roadster without a boost, generally, but it's nice to have as an option, and anyone who owns a Strat should have a Tube Screamer around for throwing in a gig bag for blues jams. :yesway:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I use my TSovChaos more as a low-end roll-off than for a "boost"... i tend to keep it more at unity gain when i'm using it to tighten up a high-gain channel. That said, i also enjoy it driving the hell out of a clean channel.

It's just nice to have another flavour (or colour) at your disposal, whether you keep it on all the time or not.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I use a Digitech Bad Monkey, and although it's a fairly cheap pedal, I think it works beautifully. It has independent bass and treble knobs, so if I'm using it as a boost I can dial out lows if I want a more modern dry tone, or add them back in if I want things to be a bit thicker. It also works great to drive a clean channel and can def stand up against more expensive pedals.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I use a Digitech Bad Monkey, and although it's a fairly cheap pedal, I think it works beautifully. It has independent bass and treble knobs, so if I'm using it as a boost I can dial out lows if I want a more modern dry tone, or add them back in if I want things to be a bit thicker. It also works great to drive a clean channel and can def stand up against more expensive pedals.
It's SO close to a MUCH more expensive OD that has been mentioned in this thread you wouldn't believe it... like almost exactly the same thing.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I also use a TS7ovChaos (TS808 + goodies) and I wouldn't part with it, ever. I don't need it for the band I'm trying out for, but I need it for my other band and I always bring it to jam sessions. I love it, and I love the fact it cost me the same as a brand new TS7 at the time :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.