Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my new to me 5150 combo just doesnt sound as good as the other 13 or 14 ive owned. Its VERY shrill and ear piercingly bright. It also has nowhere near the low end the other 5150 combos ive had. Its also SUPER fizzy sounding in the hi's and i cant get a good balance of treble no matter how much i try with the presence and treble controls. Its just very bright and fizzy in a terrible way. There is major treble,just crappy fizzy treble.
Well the preamp tubes are all labeled CHINA 12ax7,no brand name,and it has JJ power tubes.

Ive been reading a lot about mullard 12ax7 reissues being very smooth and nice. And i have been hearing a lot about tung sol 12ax7's sounding great. So i was thinking Maybe a mullard in V1 and JJ in the rest. Or tung sol in V1 and JJ in the rest. Im stearing away from the tung sol slightly because im hearing they are a bright tube,and im leaning towards JJ because they are notoriously dark. For power tubes im going with Tung sol. I would like to stick to mixing and matching no more than two brands,im not so picky as to where i need a different tube in each spot. Just some stuff that gets the job done.

My favorite 5150 combo had all mesa tubes it,but they switch suppliers and god knows how old they were.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I use JJs in the pre and some old Winged C's in the power of my 5150II. They work nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts