Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove from Montana to Wyoming (again, weird time of year, there have been all sorts of wildfires and Yellowstone got evacuated and shit so I had to pop down real quick) the other night. Left my CD wallet and when I ran out of CDs on hand I browsed whatever classic rock station was in range. Maybe 4-6 different stations over the span of the drive.

I must have drove into some hellish alternate dimension...

After six I lost count. But Jesus fucking Christ, is Pearl Jam "Classic Rock" now? Pearl Jam is even worse than Nirvana. At least Kurt Cobain had the decency to stop his artistic output before he left us decades of albums.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Most of the best Pearl Jam is 20+ years old, so, yeah.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
By the way, I just read a few of the comments, and that video probably has Top 10 Youtube comments written all over it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the best Pearl Jam is 20+ years old, so, yeah.
"Best Pearl Jam"?

Pearl Jam was actually my "first favorite band" when I was 12. For a month. A "friend" (horrible friend in retrospect) introduced me to them. They were like, the first rock music I had ever heard in album form. I'm still ashamed to this day. :lol: There are like, two Pearl Jam songs total that don't make me want to vomit.

Personal opinion on Pearl Jam aside, it's more how massively played they were. For comparison I heard 4 Led Zeppelin songs, 3 Rush songs, 1 Heart song, 1 Eagles song, etc. It was mind boggling.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Ten was a great album, and very seventies classic rock. Everything else is complete garbage.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ten was a great album, and very seventies classic rock. Everything else is complete garbage.
I used to be in that camp, but I heard Even Flow, Jeremy, and Alive for the first time in years and they were way more cringe inducing than I remember. Mainly the vocal performances granted.

Garden is a great song, the 12 string bass on Jeremy is awesome. Other than that I'm drawing a blank, unless one or two of the other tracks I haven't listened to in years was a standout.

The 12 string bass *is* awesome as fuck though. Can't deny that.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Are you sure the problem wasn't driving through Wyoming?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts

:agreed:

That was also the last time that Eddie Vedder's vocals were listenable. He sounded a little like David Coverdale (in his lower register) at that point, but afterward he mostly began shouting unintelligibly (and uncomfortably) through all the songs.

It may also be a factor that, I believe, Ten was mostly written before Eddie joined the band, so he had to sing inside a difference musical structure than afterward.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I never cared for Pearl Jam. Ten only grew on me due to the fact that it was "the" album played all summer, so it is slightly okay in my book only due to circumstance.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
It's actually one of the only "grunge" albums I ever liked (the others being Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger & AiC's Facelift..) ...sounded like 70's rock ...otherwise, I gave the whole grunge thing a wide berth .. hated it even more for screwing up the whole thrash & metal scene at the time.. :rant:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts

Ten is the only album by Pearl Jam that I like. "Once" is, in my opinion, the best song on the album. The album even has the most common song title in all of alternative rock history, "Black."

·
Read Only
10 Posts
After I watched Twenty (which everyone on here should watch, IMO), I immediately became a PJ fan again, especially of Vedder. I figured since I loved them as a kid I'd give them another shot, so I went out and got the last album (Lightning Bolt) and gave it an honest chance.

I listened to it every day for a week during my commute. It's bloody awful. :lol: They're a good bunch of dudes but man, their music is just not for me these days.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It's actually one of the only "grunge" albums I ever liked (the others being Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger & AiC's Facelift..) ...sounded like 70's rock ...otherwise, I gave the whole grunge thing a wide berth .. hated it even more for screwing up the whole thrash & metal scene at the time.. :rant:
All of the Soundgarden albums before Superunknown are pretty fuckin' badass man. KT wrote some seriously great riffs.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

:highfive: I'd even dare to say TEN would make my top 50 albums of all time. :shrug:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Chris said:
After I watched Twenty (which everyone on here should watch, IMO), I immediately became a PJ fan again, especially of Vedder. I figured since I loved them as a kid I'd give them another shot, so I went out and got the last album (Lightning Bolt) and gave it an honest chance.

I listened to it every day for a week during my commute. It's bloody awful. :lol: They're a good bunch of dudes but man, their music is just not for me these days.
That was a great documentary, and it explained exactly why Ten was so awesome. Stone and Jeff wrote all of it before they had a band. After that, Vedder became principal songwriter, which explains why everything sucked. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts

That was a great documentary, and it explained exactly why Ten was so awesome. Stone and Jeff wrote all of it before they had a band. After that, Vedder became principal songwriter, which explains why everything sucked. :lol:
I don't care for his songwriting, but the guy is 100% honest rock star, which is rare these days. He's like the embodiment of every kid who ever wanted to be in a band, ya know? A dude who just wants to play shows. :yesway:

The look on his face when he talks about Pete Townsend saying something like "I couldn't wait to meet you" to him is awesome. Vedder rules, even if I hate his music. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts