Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Bugera 6262 2x12 laying around that I bought years ago at GC on clearance, was too cheap to pass on.

Never really gets played, mostly because of the open back with shitty speakers, and it weighs a friggin ton. I was regretting having bought it, I realized should have put more $$$ together and gotten the real thing (5150/6505). At least then I would have had something with value, people can barely even get $200 for these on CL. So I thought I might be able to make it more usable and practical and also a bit easier to move around if I converted it into a head and ditch the speakers.

I looked for a head shell but I'd need a custom and they run at least $100, you want tolex upwards of $150 or more. Not worth it, not for a knock-off head. I have tools, but not the right stuff for doing dado cut finger joints - so building my own would mean buying additional tools plus the plywood sheet. I decided I would rather get some good tubes into this thing if I'm going to spend any money. I finally came up with an idea to chop the existing shitty MDF cabinet apart and see if I could get something together that wasn't too hideous, that would cost me $0.

What I started with:
bugera1.jpg

Disassembled:
bugera2.jpg

Measured and cut the cabinet so that it would provide enough clearance:
bugera3.jpg

The pleasant surprise was that the top and bottom lined up perfect when I did a dry fit:
bugera4.jpg

bugera5.jpg

Wood glue to attach the bottom plus ran in 3 screws on each side. Weight is all in the top, so this is definitely good enough:
bugera6.jpg

My cuts with the circular saw went a bit too deep into the bottom part so I had to glue in some shims and a piece of tolex that
I scavenged from the discarded middle area. Came out better than I expected, I almost cannot even see the repair:
bugera7.jpg

bugera8.jpg

And voila, the finished job. Took very little time, and I have to say, it looks pretty good. I'll cut the steel mesh that was in back to a smaller size or
get an aluminum bar to go in the back, throw something together to close up the front - I could use the speaker cloth... Damn, this turned out to be much easier than I expected and came out way better also. Spent maybe 2 hours on this total.

Now I need to get a set of good tubes and a bias...! :metal:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Awesome man. Fyi, you can easily do a mod on these that will give you a resonance control. Pop out resistor R30, wire a 1M pot in its place. Most people mount them on the back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
I just dug up some info on that, thanks man!
Yea make sure you you dont get confused on what resistor it is. The most common write up out there is for the 6262. All the directions are the same as the 6262 but I believe in the 6262, you have to remove resistor R26 and for the 6260, its R30
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
835 Posts
Nice work, man!

I'm reshelling an amp myself, with the intention of the chassis going back to the combo for resale 'n stuff. I got the rough box working, but now I'm fighting design issues. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update since I figured you guys might get a kick out of seeing the finished job. The pieces I added to complete the front and back both originally came from the back of the combo cabinet. I used no new parts on this except for a few screws and I repainted the grill mostly to cover the bare metal where I had cut it to fit the opening in the front.

20160415_002645.jpg

20160415_002512.jpg
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top