Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to discuss the fine art of wrapping up a tv show and how difficult it seems to be for writers to get it right.

It has to be, above all, satisfying to the viewer. We have to be satisfied that the characters' loose ends are concluded, and that we get closure on any mysterious elements.

It can be cool to leave it open-ended sometimes, so long as it's done tastefully.

I think some tv shows totally miss the mark and ruin the journey you've been on, and it seems to be more common than the contrary. But when they get it right, it's awesome.

Lost
Fuck I love this show. I don't care what anybody says, I thought that ending was very fitting. I get the disappointment from a lot of fans who didn't 'get it' (what's to get?), but I guess those were the type of people watching it for explosions and tits. The fact of the matter is, the show wasn't about the island, the monsters, the time-shifting, or anything. It was really heavily character driven above all else, and that's how it concluded; with characters. Their journey was over, and while it didn't exactly reveal the power behind all the shit going on, I don't feel that it mattered and was very satisfied.

Breaking Bad
Perfect. That is all.

Scrubs
Not exactly a deeply cerebral show, but it had its touching moments and I loved it to death. I thought the ending was really well done, with the right amount of emotion and comedy.

And by the way, I'm talking about the proper ending at the end of season 8, not that horrific, desperate attempt at a resurgence that was season 9.

Battlestar Galactica
Worst. Ending. Ever.
Let's face it, it's a pretty trashy show anyway, not exactly in the same league as things mentioned previously. Pretty hammy acting, some pretty obvious writing, and pretty much all about the aforementioned explosions and tits. But it was still enjoyable to watch and I really liked it for what it was. But man, talk about cheapening the journey with that fucking ending.

It's like they panicked and went "fuck, we've got 24 hours to write, shoot, produce, and wrap up this fucking show, let's get on it!" and put ZERO thought into it what so ever.

Nothing was really concluded in a proper sense. They had so many goddam opportunities in that finale to smash-cut to black and leave it there and I'd have been WAY more satisfied than I was with the dragged-out shit that we got served instead, which comprised of about 20 ending-like scenes. I think they were trying to be uber conclusive, but they did it in a really compartmentalised way, going over to this character and doing their little ending, then moving onto this one and doing their little ending, oh and then there's this guy... and it just wasn't necessary. Great, they found the planet, all we needed to see was that they got there safe and sound, they can start a new life, and move on.

Sopranos
Another great one for me. They managed to somehow tie it up nicely, whilst still leaving some doubt and open ended-ness. Classy ending for a classy show.

I can't remember what else I've watched right to the end, but those will do to get the ball rolling.

Any ones in particular you found good/bad? I never watched it, but I know Dexter got a lot of people's knickers in a twist...

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Prison Break:
Fuck the ending to this. Amazing ending, but fuck off. You can't end a show where the main star is fucking dead and not tell me why.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: Oh man, I'm so glad I stopped watching that after season 3
I mean I got season 1 and 2, it just made sense to have them escape, then be on the run. But in season 3 when they ended up in ANOTHER FUCKING PRISON and had to escape again!? I was just like oh fuck this. Then I watched the first couple of episodes of season 4 and was like right... so now they're being employed by the people they were running away from, and now they're a fucking crack espionage team!? FUCK OFF!

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I just wanted to discuss the fine art of wrapping up a tv show and how difficult it seems to be for writers to get it right.

It has to be, above all, satisfying to the viewer. We have to be satisfied that the characters' loose ends are concluded, and that we get closure on any mysterious elements.

It can be cool to leave it open-ended sometimes, so long as it's done tastefully.

I think some tv shows totally miss the mark and ruin the journey you've been on, and it seems to be more common than the contrary. But when they get it right, it's awesome.

Lost
Fuck I love this show. I don't care what anybody says, I thought that ending was very fitting. I get the disappointment from a lot of fans who didn't 'get it' (what's to get?), but I guess those were the type of people watching it for explosions and tits. The fact of the matter is, the show wasn't about the island, the monsters, the time-shifting, or anything. It was really heavily character driven above all else, and that's how it concluded; with characters. Their journey was over, and while it didn't exactly reveal the power behind all the shit going on, I don't feel that it mattered and was very satisfied.
I think the problem with Lost's ending is that it was just so ordinary, so cliché. The show itself was fantastic, all the way through, that such a bland, predictable ending didn't do for most people... I think they dropped the ball, but it could have been worse, they could have all become lumberjacks...

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
:lol: Oh man, I'm so glad I stopped watching that after season 3
I mean I got season 1 and 2, it just made sense to have them escape, then be on the run. But in season 3 when they ended up in ANOTHER FUCKING PRISON and had to escape again!? I was just like oh fuck this. Then I watched the first couple of episodes of season 4 and was like right... so now they're being employed by the people they were running away from, and now they're a fucking crack espionage team!? FUCK OFF!
Totally worth watching to the end dude. I emplore you to go back :lol:
I'm actually thinking of watching it again.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the problem with Lost's ending is that it was just so ordinary, so cliché. The show itself was fantastic, all the way through, that such a bland, predictable ending didn't do for most people... I think they dropped the ball, but it could have been worse, they could have all become lumberjacks...
It definitely could have been worse, but yeah it was incredibly cliché. I think the style of the show prevented it from being a bad thing though :shrug: I was definitely satisfied, regardless. I can definitely see why it put some people's noses out of joint though, like I said.

Totally worth watching to the end dude. I emplore you to go back :lol:
I'm actually thinking of watching it again.
I don't know if I can man. It just seems lazy and sensationalist all at the same time :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Deadwood

yeah we will just stop right when EVERYTHING is about to go down. I mean just stopped as all of the drama they had been working towards was finally coming to a head. FUCKERS! I will never forgive that shit....I loved that show! :(

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Dexter

I wanted to give a fuck but 2 episodes into the last series I gave no fucks at all and don't care what happened, because it was shite

Battlestar Galactica

Silly. Very, very silly. That it was quite evident the silliness was carefully planned made it also depressing. Awesome series anyway

Babylon 5

Yes. Babylon. Fucking. Five. It was awesome until the genuinely rushed last two episodes of series 4 that should have been the whole of series 5. They were still pretty good. I weep to think what it might have been, but overall it was alright

Firefly

Fuck you, Fox. Fuck. You.

Spartacus

Pretty damned fine for the most part. I don't see how they could have done better, lacking the ability to cure cancer or revive the dead. Gave a satisfying end, with closure. Maintained interest despite you knowing what happened, more or less, you still wanted to know how the show tied it up in a fashion that fit with its own history and, y'know, actual history.

The IT crowd

Moss switching off the light :( Also, they get out of the basement and become bosses of the company? How fucking stupid is that? Perfectly stupid, thats how fucking stupid it is, you small person racist

That'll do, I think. No one wants my soundbite opinion on the endings of deep space 9 or TNG. If voyager ended, I never noticed.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Deadwood

yeah we will just stop right when EVERYTHING is about to go down. I mean just stopped as all of the drama they had been working towards was finally coming to a head. FUCKERS! I will never forgive that shit....I loved that show! :(
:agreed:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never watched Deadwood. Something irked me about seeing Lovejoy as a fucking cowboy.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Since this has been bumped, might as well throw my hat into the ring:

Scrubs
I got into this around season 3 and immediately fell in love, and I've seen every episode at least three times since I marathoned it about a month ago and finished it in 2 weeks. The ending to me was perfect and I'm personally appauled that they didn't end it on that note when they should have. Everything fit so neatly together and after sticking with it for so long I was truly lost after it ended, it left a big hole to fill.

Breaking Bad
Same thing for Scrubs, except with far more tension :lol: This fit the show to a T and nothing felt rushed or out of place. Glad it ended on a high note and never got bogged down trying to be overly deep and turned to shit.

The Office
This one I just recently finished and I was surprised at how quickly season 9 came to a close. Don't get me wrong, the ending was great but shit kind of went downhill then back up in like, the last three episodes and it was also another devastating one to see go.

Alf
Fuck no, terrible :noway:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts