Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I've worked on two sounds recently, and I like elements of both. I seem to be horrible at making tones, so opinions are very welcome.

The first is a TS9 into a TriAxis into a Mesa 2:90/4x12 impulse:
SoundClick artist: leecassidy - page with MP3 music downloads

The second is a TS9 into a Marshall JMP-1 into an Engl impulse:
SoundClick artist: leecassidy - page with MP3 music downloads

I tried to make a Soundcloud page and use their widget, but when I embedded it, it said the track wasn't available. So, sorry for the old school Soundclick links :/

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I think I prefer the second one better. Something about it sounded "rounder" to me. A little bit fuller, a little more presence.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The first one sounds a little more spacey and "out there", which fits in really well with the song and gives it a unique sound. The second one sounds more standard but also more crisp and defined, and sticks out better over the rhythms. It's hard to describe, hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say.

EDIT: I think I'm leaning towards the second one. It just sounds a lot clearer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the lead on the TriAxis one needs to be turned up a little bit. Through my shitty netbook speakers the JMP one cut through a lot more.

So I have to say the second one sounds better. But raising the volume a teeny bit on the first one might make it better.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I think the second one sounds a lot better, but I tend to like lead tones with lots of mids and a good dose of treble, kinda like that second one.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only concern with the JMP-1 is it sounds a little bit thin, otherwise I'm pretty pleased with it. The TriAxis has a lot more body to it, but it has a fuzzy quality I'm not digging.

I just tried the TriAxis through the Engl impulse and it sounded a bit better. I'll try a better solo with that and the JMP tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts