Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Yes... tin general there's 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'upgrade-manager', but here you may need to manually fiddle with your /etc/apt/sources.list or enable RCs in upgrade-manager somehow. I'm checking to see if I can move one of my boxes from 10.04 to 10.10RC and I'll let you know if I have luck. (Even if not... a few more days and the whole thing will be out, in which case dist-upgrade and upgrade-manager will work as usual).

EDIT: Running 'update-manager -d' in the terminal (default Alt-F2 for those who don't know) is supposed to get you the release candidate.

Jeff

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
I just clicked the upgrade button myself... this is on my server, so I won't always be dealing with it directly, but I'll be trying the new toys as soon as they're installed.

Jeff

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Mine supposedly has another 31 minutes to install... whee! That said, the download was surprisingly fast for a recently-announced RC and I was expecting it to take far longer than the installation.

Jeff

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I finished the install this morning, had some prompts waiting for me when I woke up. In the few minutes I had to play with it, it seened that nothing changed.

BTW, how can I increase the maximum resolution on VirtualBox? The only option I have is 800x600. Ill have to look around later...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I finished the install this morning, had some prompts waiting for me when I woke up. In the few minutes I had to play with it, it seened that nothing changed.

BTW, how can I increase the maximum resolution on VirtualBox? The only option I have is 800x600. Ill have to look around later...
You need to install the Guest Additions, which contains the necessary video drivers for Linux, so you get smoother video (along with variable resolutions) as well as smoother mouse action. Once you install that, you can then dynamically resize the VM window, and the resolution will automatically change.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Sweet, thought so. That's in the apt repo right?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Sweet, thought so. That's in the apt repo right?
No. In the Virtual box menu, go to Devices-->Install Guest Additions.

You might need to install the build essentials in Ubuntu first though:

Apt-get install build-essential

That oughta take care of everything for ya.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks. I'm new to VirtualBox. I used VMWare Fusion previously, and it was similar. I definitely dig the freeness of VirtualBox, still sad to see Sun swallowed up by Oracle.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Thanks. I'm new to VirtualBox. I used VMWare Fusion previously, and it was similar. I definitely dig the freeness of VirtualBox, still sad to see Sun swallowed up by Oracle.
In my experience, Virtualbox shits all over Fusion, and I've used Fusion since the beginning, as well as Workstation from 3 to 7 on Linux. I now use Virtualbox on both my Macs and my Linux machines.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.