Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously? Fucker wont even install right over my 10.10 install, right?
Once i get the cockgobbler running, it gives me an interface that looks like this:

Its like my desktop is a giant fucking smartphone. Im sure there's some way to uninstall this fucking cumdumpster of an interface and go back to gnome, but I'm just gonna go install OpenSuse 11 instead.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
You choose the "Gnome Classic" interface and that goes back to Gnome.

Alternatively you could go to OpenSu.......................::Wait four hours for YaST to stop being crap and do anything::............se

·
By your command!
180 Posts
This:
I agree that unity sucks bigtime. When I need to manage something through the gui I use vnc, but with unity/compiz that is now nearly impossible from lag.

Still, haven't noticed anything else in natty that bugs me.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I've always run into huge problems whenever I upgrade... I always do a fresh reinstall.

(Also, conky ftw!)

·
By your command!
180 Posts
I've always run into huge problems whenever I upgrade... I always do a fresh reinstall.

(Also, conky ftw!)
I upgraded my old (2004) laptop without any issues. Had to disable Unity though, since that slowed the system down to unusable speeds. Everything still worked without any issues.

The screenshot is from my slighly newer (2008) laptop, Unity worked fine and I didn't really mind it untill I tried to vnc into the box and then found out it slowed VNC down to unbearable speeds.

And yes, conky ftw :)

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 'Natty Narwhal' and the dumbed-down interface were really just a late April Fool's joke intended to throw a Natural Light pun into bazillions of helpless machines.

Jeff

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Get used to it...

Mark Shuttleworth said:
"We made very good progress on [accessibility] in Natty, but will miss the goal of perfect [accessibility]. We'll nail it in Oneiric. That's OK, because we have the Classic desktop fallback in Natty, but will not in Oneiric."
If Canonical keeps this shit up with Ubuntu, they'll end up like Corel Linux.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Alternatively you could go to OpenSu.......................::Wait four hours for YaST to stop being crap and do anything::............se
Thats the problem, i couldn't. The updated version wouldnt boot (It'd hang at a black screen forever), and the old version would just go right into Unity with no options because, fuck it, i don't know why. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Get used to it...

If Canonical keeps this shit up with Ubuntu, they'll end up like Corel Linux.
Welp, there goes ubuntu :facepalm:

Seriously, how does a linux distrobution as huge as fucking ubuntu abandon gnome? Really? :lol:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
It's not really that hard to switch back to GNOME.
But you shouldn't have to. Unity wasn't ready for this sort of use. Gnome should have been the default with the option to switch to Unity.

With Oneric, you'll have to go download the whole Gnome stack to be able to switch back to Gnome.

The simple fact is this; Canonical is trying to dumb down Ubuntu to the point where most people can easily install, configure, and use it. These are admirable goals, but in doing so, they're screwing with their current primary user base--the Linux geeks, who tend to be very particular about their operating system. I go through this with Windows every time there is a new shell. Can I change it back to the way it was? Of course I can and so can you, but unless you're stubborn as hell, the switch will have to come eventually.

I remember similar bitching when KDE4 was released and the migration from 3 to version 4 started. It definitely took some time to get the ball rolling. I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen with the migration from Gnome to Unity. Rather than learn from the KDE fiasco, they just said "Fuck it, use Unity."

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
So, theres Xubuntu, Kubuntu, but we cant have like, a Gubuntu? Please, Gubuntu

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I jumped ship to LinuxMint and I couldn't be happier. Their implementation of Gnome and all of the automated buggery and included software is spot on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts