Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been rockin ubuntu for about 2 weeks now, and its great. There's only two problems i have right now:

1) The lesser problem. Rhythmbox & Linux in general sees my whole music folder on my D:\ partition from my windows days, except one folder. and that one folder happens to contain And Justice For All. I had assumed i had just forgot to rip my CD. So i ripped it in ogg in rhythmbox. But the next time i boot into windows, i found both my .ogg rip and my original .mp3 rip from before. So i reboot into ubuntu, and its gone again. What gives?

2) So I went and did up all the drivers for the line6 toneport i got (for jamming on my stick in true stereo). Then i installed Gearbox & Podfarm through WINE. Apparently WINE Doesnt allow the windows programs to see USB or something? Is there an option for this? Or am i gonna have to boot into vista to use the UX1?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
So i've been rockin ubuntu for about 2 weeks now, and its great. There's only two problems i have right now:

1) The lesser problem. Rhythmbox & Linux in general sees my whole music folder on my D:\ partition from my windows days, except one folder. and that one folder happens to contain And Justice For All. I had assumed i had just forgot to rip my CD. So i ripped it in ogg in rhythmbox. But the next time i boot into windows, i found both my .ogg rip and my original .mp3 rip from before. So i reboot into ubuntu, and its gone again. What gives?

2) So I went and did up all the drivers for the line6 toneport i got (for jamming on my stick in true stereo). Then i installed Gearbox & Podfarm through WINE. Apparently WINE Doesnt allow the windows programs to see USB or something? Is there an option for this? Or am i gonna have to boot into vista to use the UX1?
I'd check permissions on the folder first. also what is the file system on that drive (NTFS, Fat, etc)?

as for the pod stuff id recommend using VMware, IIRC there is a free workstation version available.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have had trouble with my ubuntu and NTFS and like jeff said its a virtual machine not like wine

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

I'd check permissions on the folder first. also what is the file system on that drive (NTFS, Fat, etc)?

as for the pod stuff id recommend using VMware, IIRC there is a free workstation version available.
Linux can be a pain in the ass with USB audio devices to begin with, but throwing WINE in there gets even more messy.

And do not attempt to run POD Farm and Gearbox in virtualization. It'll suck. Just dual boot with XP (if you can, since it's faster) and then make sure the NIC is disabled. Then you don't need to run AV software. You can also strip out all the unnecessary crap with something like nLite.

However if you want to play with virtualization anyway for other stuff, the free virtualization platform I like is Oracle's Virtualbox.

VirtualBox

The other problems could be associated with it being NTFS, as was said.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linux can be a pain in the ass with USB audio devices to begin with, but throwing WINE in there gets even more messy.

And do not attempt to run POD Farm and Gearbox in virtualization. It'll suck. Just dual boot with XP (if you can, since it's faster) and then make sure the NIC is disabled. Then you don't need to run AV software. You can also strip out all the unnecessary crap with something like nLite.
Yeah, i essentially ended up doing that, except for with vista. nad it totally fucked with my grub loader, so i had to fix that. But now i think i got everything sorted out. gave Windows a 40 gig partition for working with audio stuff.

The only downside is that i still cant see my original rip of Justice, and dont have a spare way to get all my mp3s and whatnot over, since i dont have a spare 60+ gig hard drive laying around.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here's another question for you guys:

I keep trying to manage my phone (Dash 3G) with Ubuntu. Rather than browsing the memry card like i want it to, Ubuntu keeps trying to tether my device. Any tips?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm not familiar with the phone, but is there an option to have it act as a mass storage device?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure. It runs the most recent release of Windows Mobile or CE or whatever the fuck it is. Usually, in Vista, I can just browse the device, but thats through ActiveSync (Some proprietary windows bullshit) and not because its a mass storage device.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Not sure. It runs the most recent release of Windows Mobile or CE or whatever the fuck it is. Usually, in Vista, I can just browse the device, but thats through ActiveSync (Some proprietary windows bullshit) and not because its a mass storage device.
Yeah, I had to use AS on an HTC phone that I was using for work - Windows had drivers for it that hooked it up. With Linux, usually to browse raw files on a device, you need to set it as a MSD so that it can be mounted as a regular drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts