Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just came back from the HellFest (biggest metal open air in France, about 170 000 people over the weekend).
It was great as usual, and i saw some pretty amazing shows.

Just wanted to share a thought about down tuned guitars (drop E, F, G ...) on stage in open air festivals : 90% of the time, it sucks !
I saw 6 bands with this kind of tuning this week-end, and everytime the guitars just sounded like muted farts, overwhelmed by the double bass drum.
The guys played great but I think you just can't make guitars tuned so low sound thick by doing a quick line-check before the show.

Did you guys experienced the same thing ?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Hi guys,

I just came back from the HellFest (biggest metal open air in France, about 170 000 people over the weekend).
It was great as usual, and i saw some pretty amazing shows.

Just wanted to share a thought about down tuned guitars (drop E, F, G ...) on stage in open air festivals : 90% of the time, it sucks !
I saw 6 bands with this kind of tuning this week-end, and everytime the guitars just sounded like muted farts, overwhelmed by the double bass drum.
The guys played great but I think you just can't make guitars tuned so low sound thick by doing a quick line-check before the show.

Did you guys experienced the same thing ?
Drop E, F, and G are going to sound like muted farts anyway. I don't see how open air has anything to do with it.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Drop E, F, and G are going to sound like muted farts anyway. I don't see how open air has anything to do with it.
Usually farts are at their peak when they're in open air, so it's almost the opposite effect!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's a problem with live sound for ANY band tuning that low. With great speakers and a great engineer you can make it work, but it's tough when you're on a speaker set optimized for "normal" tuned bands.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
That's why E Standard is always the best.

I can imagine Vektor sounding good too, they actually tune up! :metal:
For me I find Eb the perfect tuning.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
For me I find Eb the perfect tuning.
:agreed:

Normally when I drop tune nowadays, the lowest I go is A#. I find that's the best tuning to go to before everything starts to sound like a muddy fart. Otherwise, my preferred tunings are Eb, drop C#, or drop C.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I absolutely love guitars in C, B, or dropped A tuning, which is one of the main reasons I play 7s. Having said that, I've yet to hear a band that tunes below G that can sound tight live. Guitarists basically have to turn the bass off on their amps to clean it up, and that messes with everything. It's just not balanced and most of the djent bands use too much gain and that pingy 1.6KHz mid frequency anyway, so it really can sound like a wash.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Meshuggah have sounded amazing every time I've seen them both inside and outside. But they obviously have pretty specific gear and don't use actual amps

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
The OP brought up an interesting comment with bass drums. It seems like they have been turned up to ridiculous levels in the last few years. It's no wonder everything else is getting drowned out.
If you have a band that's heavy on double bass drums, expect to hear only that. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
The OP brought up an interesting comment with bass drums. It seems like they have been turned up to ridiculous levels in the last few years. It's no wonder everything else is getting drowned out.
If you have a band that's heavy on double bass drums, expect to hear only that. :lol:
Sounds like my monitor mix the other night, naught but kickdrum and my vocals. Cheers soundguy. :lol:

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Lowest I will go is B on my 7 string and Drop C on my 6 string, to me everything else is just muddy, honestly I prefer drop D and Standard E for most things.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes ! This week-end at Hellfest, Slayer, Gojira, Hatebreed & Amon Amarth were bearly listenable ... The bands were playing really good but the bass drum was so loud that you couldn't hear anything.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Anything below F# sounds like shit. I'm looking at you, all you idiots who play in standard tuning! WAY TOO LOW! F# is pretty much the limit. A is where it's at. And don't complain about your strings snapping, you pussies! Seriously!

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Yes ! This week-end at Hellfest, Slayer, Gojira, Hatebreed & Amon Amarth were bearly listenable ... The bands were playing really good but the bass drum was so loud that you couldn't hear anything.
I noticed a few years ago around DC area, specifically the 9:30 club that vocals and drums seem to be all you hear lately, if the main band is big enough and has their own sound guy it will sound good, but most bands that play there rely on the local sound guy.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the in thing is electronic music and the sound guys coming up are into that so to them that is what is pleasing, hearing the drums and singer. These days i prefer to go to the Filmore who has a good sound guy.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Anything below F# sounds like shit. I'm looking at you, all you idiots who play in standard tuning! WAY TOO LOW! F# is pretty much the limit. A is where it's at. And don't complain about your strings snapping, you pussies! Seriously!
Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts