Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I hit record, played whatever popped into my head, and then hit record again and did the same for the "lead". Brand new strings so it's a wee out of tune here and there (still stretching in), but I figured I'd chuck this up.

Same track, with some panning so you can hear the difference.

This is coil split, direct from the AFX. middle position for the backing, neck for the "lead".

MP3:

http://www.chrisquigley.com/facta/dialins/bkpclean.mp3

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't give a shit if these end up sounding like stock Jackson pickups for metal, holy fucking crap are they AWESOME through my cab. This direct tone isn't too bad but man, oh man, they are fucking gorgeous through my amp. :eek:

This (imo) sounds pretty damn good, but it's just some random AFX patch direct. The actual rig in the room sounds 100x better. Awesome, awesome pickups. Wow.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Very Very cool Chris. I dig it. Sounds great. These sound much better than tapped Painkillers in my SLSMG. I am almost thinking of ordering a set of these or maybe even a lower output pickup to try in it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I was definitely expecting teh broooootalz, but this was a pleasant surprise. A super-super hi-fi sounding pickup.

The guitarist in my band has an 8-string model we put into his Damien Elite 8 (26.5") and you'd be surprised how much that did for the clarity on the low strings (which is tuned to E with an .080) at pretty much any level of distortion. Very impressive.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I really love the sound of a coil-split high-gain pickup. When I had a Lundgren in my Gryphon7, it did wonderful things split. Excellent clip!

I was definitely expecting teh broooootalz, but this was a pleasant surprise. A super-super hi-fi sounding pickup.

The guitarist in my band has an 8-string model we put into his Damien Elite 8 (26.5") and you'd be surprised how much that did for the clarity on the low strings (which is tuned to E with an .080) at pretty much any level of distortion. Very impressive.
It still shocks me just how fucking clean that guitar was at that tuning. And I pick like a jackhammer.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think that's the key thing with Aftermaths... the clarity and note definition. They're actually not hugely hot pickups. They fall into the "medium" output category, yet still manage to be quite punchy and articulate.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
sounds nice
I liked the AMs in my Rico clean, didn't like them for high gain though, I l love the Holydiver I have in there now.
The Alnico Nailbomb and Coldsweat neck sound really nice clean as well. When I had those in my Carvin I would split them all the time clean and they sounded beautiful together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts