Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some bands that are awesome but just don't seem to get the recognition they deserved.

Cirith Ungol:

Manilla Road:

Warlord:

Helstar:

Virgin Steel:

Honorable Mention -- Cauldron Born:
(Only cause their first album came out in 1996).

I need more videos from the "US Power Metal" type shit from the 80s that i've heard so much about, in the same vein as this. Its like Manowar, but you know, good.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I actually have a Manilla Road album, and I've heard quite a few Cirith Ungol tracks at a friend's place who is a Tolkien nut.

For a similar vibe only more recent, check out Brocas Helm:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Cirith Ungol, Warlord and Brocas Helm are the only ones on this list I haven't seen.... the only one I actually like that I've seen is Helstar, and I don't really like them until A Distant Thunder. :shrug:

I really dig some early Jag Panzer though.

Some others you might like are Nasty Savage and Omen.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
I saw Nasty Savage open for Death in 1990.They were horrible.
Warlord is excellent.Mark Zonder was just as awesome back then.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The pants and hairstyles in that Warlord video are terrifying.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some others you might like are Nasty Savage and Omen.
Nasty Savage, I can't really get into. There's only one or two non-death metal bands i really dig from Florida. Like Trivium and the Absence.

Just kidding. they both blow. I actually meant Iced Earth & Savatage.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
That Shok Paris album is killer. The second one, "Concrete Killers", is pretty cool, too. I saw them open for - of all bands - Lizzy Borden one time. :lol:

(later, but who's counting?)

(They used to play at my high school. While signed to Arista. :lol: )

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
^ Damn...I love those Liege Lord & Warrior albums! Timeless.. :metal:

(They used to play at my high school. While signed to Arista. :lol: )
Their stuff really must've been flying off the shelves :lol:

j/k ..that's pretty cool...

Did you check out that Feinstein album from a few years ago with John West?

Yeah, Shok Paris were incredible. Vic Hix has an amazing set of pipes! He did a couple of great albums with his new band Aftershok recently...but I think he just quit again. Too bad.. :(

·
Big
272 Posts
That Shok Paris album is killer. The second one, "Concrete Killers", is pretty cool, too.
Am I going to have to revoke your Metal Historian credentials? Steel and Starlight is the second album. Their debut, Go For the Throat is also awesome, and way better than the third (Concrete Killers). For shame, Blevins. For shame.

Meanwhile:

·
Big
272 Posts
Yeah, Shok Paris were incredible. Vic Hix has an amazing set of pipes! He did a couple of great albums with his new band Aftershok recently...but I think he just quit again. Too bad.. :(
No, Shok Paris are back at it and recording a new album, although the demo or rough mix or whatever posted on the Auburn Records Myspace page is really, really bad. I saw Shok Paris about 5 or 6 years ago, and they were awesome. Vic is fat as hell, but he can still sing!

Matt

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Am I going to have to revoke your Metal Historian credentials? Steel and Starlight is the second album. Their debut, Go For the Throat is also awesome, and way better than the third (Concrete Killers). For shame, Blevins. For shame.
I always forget about the first one, since it was impossible to find back in the day.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Matt Johnson and Mike:

·
Big
272 Posts
I always forget about the first one, since it was impossible to find back in the day.
And now it's the only one that's available! The reissue on Auburn is really slick, with a bunch of bonus stuff. Get it!

And if you need .flacs of the other albums, you know where to find me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts