Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, everyone submit all their wierder chord voicings for metal rhythm!:) I'm mainly thinking heavy stuff here rather than chimy clean voicings and so forth.
I'll kick us off...

Here's a variation on the 'prog rock power chord' in DADGAD tuning (or whatever variation you like...Fellsilent tuning, etc.). This one sounds absolutely massive with distortion!

d----5
a----5
G----7
D----7
A----5
D----5

In ADADGBE tuning, here's a fingering for the 'double-octaves' that Devin Townsend often plays in Open C tuning. These are a great way of using the extreme low end of the seven without it getting too muddy.

e--------
b---------
G----7----
D----x----
A----5----
D----x----
A----5----

On a similar note, here's another sus voicing, in the same tuning, which'll also work on the adjacent strings!

e--------
b---------
G--------
D----7----
A----7----
D----x----
A----5----

...And here's a fingering for ninths, elevenths and minor tenths that works nicely with distortion. Alternate between the three and it sounds really atmospheric! You could also experiment with adding open strings to these. Again, these'll work on the adjacent strings in this tuning.

e-------------------
b-------------------
G--------------------
D-------------------
A----7---10-----8---
D----x----x-----x----
A----5----5---- 5----

Here's Trey Azagthoth's fingering for eleventh diads in standard. He call it the 'pipe organ chord'. You could try adding the octave on the D string to thicken it if need be.

e-------
b--------
G---7----
D---x----
A---x----
E---5----

Fire away gentlemen!:)

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought of another! Quartal (stacked fourths) voicings on the top four strings can be really effective with distortion!

e-----6----
b-----6----
G-----5----
D-----5----
A----------
E----------

·
Wants Les Claypool, Sexually
137 Posts
e--------
b--------
G---4----
D---4----
A---7----
E---5----

Power chord with an added 6th and 9th. Sounds great if you've got a riff using power chords and you want a particular chord to jump out a bit more. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
e--------
b--------
G---7----
D---7----
A---9----
E--------

D Major chord, 1st inversion. Can be moved around like a power chord, and has a very different 'feel.'

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The "Andy Summers Chord". It is a 1-5-9, no third, and sounds wonderfully ambiguous:

e--------
b--------
G--------
D---9----
A---7----
E---5----

In drop-D, I usually add the twelfth (octave of the fifth) to give it a bit more meat:

e--------
b--------
G---7----
D---7----
A---5----
D---5----

The world's most awesome D-chord. It is a bunch of ones and fives:

e---5----
b---3----
G---2----
D---0----
A---0----
D---0----

Drop the high E string, and it is movable:

e--------
b---8----
G---7----
D---5----
A---5----
D---5----

Major and minor diads, with an added octave. These have a nice "clonk" to them when used with gain:

e--------
b--------
G---7----
D---4----
A---5----
E--------

e--------
b--------
G---7----
D---3----
A---5----
E--------

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The biggest A5 chord:

e--5---
b--5---
G--2---
D--2---
A--0---
E------

The biggest E5 chord:

e--0---
b--0---
G--4---
D--2---
A--2---
E--0---

·
Smokestack Lightning
218 Posts
Just thought of another! Quartal (stacked fourths) voicings on the top four strings can be really effective with distortion!

e-----6----
b-----6----
G-----5----
D-----5----
A----------
E----------
Is the root on this chord G on the D string? I see this chord more as an Eb 69 without the root.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the root on this chord G on the D string? I see this chord more as an Eb 69 without the root.
That's the beauty of those voicings...you can move them around over different root notes and get some pretty complex harmonies.:)

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here's a really wierd one I discovered a a couple of days ago, totally by accident. Basically it's a power chord with a #4 on top that you have to catch with a diagonal barre. Sounds really freaky with distortion, but pretty cool in context (think Voivod).

e----4---------
b----x---------
G----7----------
D----7--------
A----5--------
D-------------
A--------------

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
one of my favs. simple, but dissonant sounding and can be moved anywhere

e---
b---
g---
d---
a---5
e---4
b---3

another simple one i dig that works off the other one pretty good.
e---
b---
g---
d---
a---
e---5
b---6

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
An example of 7SoH's first chord being used to remendous effect. The octave sounds really cool, and the tritone gives it the familiar "demonic" edge.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a six-string power chord voicing for a double-drop-tuned six string.:)

d----5---
b----8---
G----7---
D----5---
A----5---
D----5---

I'm currently messing around with these voicings on a Les Paul tuned to double-drop Bb, and it sounds nuts!:metal:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Some really cool ideas here. I can see myself coming to this thread again when I'm trying to write next time.

This ons is a cool idea I was using and then I saw it in a Cynic song too. It can be moved around or played higher up if you want the stretch to be easier. I like how it sounds in a progression where you want to move away from the normal power chord sound.

e-------
b-------
G----12-
D----10-
A----7---
E--------

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A massive G5 chord, courtesy of Richie Blackmore!:)

e--3---
b--3---
G--0---
D--5---
A--5---
E-----

·
Total failure
27 Posts
Here's a simple voicing that consists of the 1st, 5th and 9th intervals. It can be used instead of the typical power (1,5,8) chord, and can really add some extra weight to your chording as well as facilitate more interesting chord changes.

e-----------
b-----------
g-----------
D--4---6---8
A--2---4---6
E--0---2---4

And so on.

Oh, also, if you're playing a standard power chord with the root on the A string, PLEASE add the 5th below the root. This nice figured bass trick can make your chord sound so much meatier. People have actually asked me if I'm tuned to drop C with this trick, even though I am playing in standard E.

e-------
b-------
g----5--
D----5--
A----3--
E----3--

Instead of

g---5--
d---5--
A---3--
E------

Also don't be afraid to use advanced chords in your playing, such as 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, etc. It can really add flavor to your writing.

·
I dislike Porcupine Tree.
189 Posts
Some I use a lot, since I tend to think in terms of voice-leading, sevenths moving down by step, etc, rather than in terms of raw sound:
Am7, no 5th
d -5 G
a -3 C
E -5 A

A7, no third (could be major or minor)
d -5
a -7
E -5

Adim7 (without the fifth, which takes away some of the clashing of overtones)
d -4
a -3
E -5

And one I use a lot instead of power chords for the III, V, VI, and VII chords in minor, it's a major triad with an octave instead of a fifth (if you want to get fancy):
d -7
a -4
E -5

This one is great for alternating low-E chug with stabs of the other notes in an Em chord; the voicing is open enough to stay a little more crisp with lots of gain:
d -5 G
a -2 B
E -0 E

1 - 20 of 60 Posts