Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Gabe Newell says Valve will release its own console-like PC for the living room | The Verge

Valve has stayed mostly quiet about its plans to enter the hardware business, but in an interview with Kotaku at last night's Video Game Awards, Gabe Newell confirmed the company's plans to sell its own living room PC that could compete with next-generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft. The biggest revelation is that Valve seems set to release its own complete hardware and software solution. When we first reported that the company was working on a "Steam Box" back in March, it appeared that Valve was working on a prototype that would establish a baseline for hardware manufacturers, but it wasn't clear if the company would sell its own product or simply release the designs to others. Newell's comments to Kotaku provide a much clearer picture of what's happening; Newell said that he expects companies to start selling PCs designed for the living room next year - which Kotaku says could have Steam preloaded - and that Valve will create its own distinct package.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
WIN! :winning: This will make it MUCH easier for me to play on my TV. I was planning a gaming PC build here in the near future, but this may turn out to be a much cheaper option as long as I can use both a keyboard and mouse, and a controller.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Interesting, but aside from maybe form factor, will there be much difference between this and a regular game-centric prefab PC?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (boobies)

Everyone pretty much knew this was coming. Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
^Lol hopefully not that far away.

But damn, this would be sick. Someone should have done this some time ago but I guess no better company than Steam. I still remember the day I installed Steam when Counter-Strike was the only game at the time!

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I haven't been a PC gamer in a long time, but if Steam will be in the living room as a console this means 1) an easier and cheaper time finding and downloading older games, and 2) If you're buying new games at full retail price online, this could kill the market for used games. Am I right? #1 is great, #2 not so great. I like being able to walk into a game store and pick up a 6 month to year old title for $20 and give it a shot, and if I don't like it, I can always ebay it. Plus I like buying a game new, finishing it in about 2 months, then ebaying it. This console may be a step toward ending that. Not sure I'm terribly enthused.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
What will make the decision for me if I will want a Steam console is the specs of it. 360 and PS3 (and even the Wii U) all have inferior technology compared to building your own decent PC box via Newegg. The 360 was made from an Apple G5 for christ sakes and even the Wii U was made from PPC CPU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts