Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on the Peavey ValveKing?

Used, I see them for $250. $400 with 4x12 cab.

I'm pondering an upgrade from my Peavey 210 Chorus in spring or so.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Honestly, I don't really think it's that bad of an amp at all. I've actually liked just about all flavors of Peavey stuff.

If the price is right for you, I say go for it.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

I've not really heard any decent tones out of them myself but if you're on a tight budget they are good value for money.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP in that they are pretty affordable used tube amps.

I've liked what I have heard in videos on youtube. I know that's not reliable but it's a starting point.

On the plus side if you get it for a good price and don't like it you can probably get all if not most of your money back depending on your patience.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I would avoid. Cleans are okay, but the high gain stuff sounds like shit. Save a little longer if you can, and just get a 5150.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
^ :agreed:

Especially since the 6505+ 1x12 combo can be had used for ~$350-450ish all the time.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah... that's the kind of input I need. Thank you.

High gain is where I'm headed (although cleans are important, too.) It would be a bitch at any price if it didn't work as intended.

I'll be looking around until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Also, in case it is unclear, the 6505 and 6505+ are the same amps as the 5150 and 5150 II, respectively. Peavey had to change the name after EVH's endorsement ended.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha. I read that post before asking. I just happened to see the ValveKing at a decent price.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Didn't they redesign the ValveKing recently? I'm sure I've read that the newer ones are a big improvement.

But yeah… 5150/6505.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
You know, devil's advocate...

That sounds pretty good to me. It's not a "metal" amp by any means, but it's a pretty good sounding hard rock amp. If you want metal, just get a 5150, but if hard rock is more your thing that really isn't a bad sounding amp at all, if that clip is indicative.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If only Peavey would lunchbox the 6505 and add some of those same new features they added to the Valveking lineup, that would be killer :agreed:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Seriously. A 6505+ lunchbox would be awesome.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Didn't they redesign the ValveKing recently? I'm sure I've read that the newer ones are a big improvement.

But yeah… 5150/6505.
They're not a big improvement. I played the 20w, and it was very mediocre. A JCA or Orange OR15 blow it away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts