Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my amp blows and I can't afford a new one right now (until christmas provided everything goes right), does anyone have experience with Valvekings and metal tones? I'm gonna be running the onboard OD with an ISP Decimator G-string in the loop. It's my mates who uses the same practice space as us, so he kindly let me borrow it whenever I need it. What do you guys reckon?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Is it the head or combo?

I tried the VK112 combo and couldn't get a tight rhythm tone out of it on its own. With a boost in front, you might be in better shape.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be the head, I could throw a boost in front if push comes to shove. Anything sounds better than that excuse I call an amp now :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
You should be able to get perfectly useable tones out of the frontman :scratch:

I have a VK212 here for home use (my friend's), it's decent. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's better then my roomie's MG15 lol

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I highly recommend finding something else used. IMO it doesn't do metal that well, and gets pretty flubby the louder you get. I had the head with a 2x12, and after the honeymoon of owning a tube amp wore off, I got rid of it and got a JSX.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I highly recommend finding something else used. IMO it doesn't do metal that well, and gets pretty flubby the louder you get. I had the head with a 2x12, and after the honeymoon of owning a tube amp wore off, I got rid of it and got a JSX.
Only problem is, I can't afford anything till at least after Christmas, and realistically I'm looking at April next year, by the time I've got debts paid off and Download tickets paid for, I'm looking for a used Engl Fireball really, as I can't quite afford a new Fireball 100 or Powerball. If I can't find the Fireball, I'm gonna get a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, best of boths worlds for that really. I was supposed to be getting one for christmas, but my girlfriend got stung BIG time for tax and now can't afford it along with her own bills. Next year is NOT gonna be a cheap year for me, just hope I get that payrise I've been told I could get :lol:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
I've got the Valveking head, and I run it through a 5150 4x12 Cab. I also replaced all the crap EH preamp tubes with 1 (Regular) JJ ECC38 1 JJ High Gain ECC38s and 1 Tung Sol ECC83. (Will replace the poweramp tubes when I have the $$...the Ruby tubes are Ok, but I want to try something else) It is a very good amp for the money. If you tweak it right, you can get some killer tones out of it. It also REALLY likes Seymour Duncan Custom 7 humbuckers. Another alternative is finding one of the Peavey Windsor heads, which basically IS a JCM. They sell used for around $200 now, only one channel, but a killer amp for the money.

I recommend you get the VK head over the Combo. A buddy of mine has the 2x12 combo, and I could not get a good tone out of it, on the other hand...I can get great tones out of mine. Of course it doesn't stack up to a 5150, or ENGL, or Mesa. But it is indeed a great tube amp for the money.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't mean to sound disrespectful to everyone suggesting about buying a VK or avoiding it, I'm not even looking at one, I just have it freely available to use off a friend until I can get the Engl or Peavey I'm wanting :lol: I just haven't had chance to use it yet, just wanted a bit of advice from you dudes before hand :)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Don't mean to sound disrespectful to everyone suggesting about buying a VK or avoiding it, I'm not even looking at one, I just have it freely available to use off a friend until I can get the Engl or Peavey I'm wanting :lol: I just haven't had chance to use it yet, just wanted a bit of advice from you dudes before hand :)
OIC. I thought you were buying one.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OIC. I thought you were buying one.
Ah no no no, if my original post was misleading I do sincerely apologise :lol: Nah, I wouldn't pay for a VK when I can save the extra cash towards something bigger and better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts