1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

VS Amp

Fuck this looks mean as hell :metal: Wish I could try one out! :(

Front panel features:
• 4 Gain control knobs: Clean Gain-1, Crunch Gain-2, Lead Gain-3 and Lead Gain-4
• Middle-voiced switching (affects all 4 channels) via front panel button or via footswitch
• Electronic Power tube monitoring system (P.T.M.) with LED indication (new version)
• 4 channels: Clean-Channel 1, Crunch-Channel 2, Lead-Channel 3 and Lead-Channel 4
• 4 Volume control knobs: Clean Vol.-1, Crunch Vol.-2, Lead Vol.-3 and Lead Vol.-4
• EQ system Clean and Crunch: Bass, Middle, Treble-Clean, Treble-Crunch
• EQ system Lead-Channel 3 and Lead-Channel 4: Bass, Middle or Middle-voiced, Treble
• Channel switching via two front panel buttons or via footswitch
• Master A and B controls for different output volume settings
• Presence and Depth Punch controls in the poweramp stage
• Stand By switch
Rear panel features:
• ENGL S.A.C. Port to accept the Custom Footpedal Z-9 (more options)
• Noise Gate (including threshold control) can now be activated via footswitch (On/Off)
• F.X. Loop Send & Return with Balance control now switchable via footswitch (On/Off)
• 3 x 1/4" Stereo jacks for connecting three Z-4 footpedals or a MIDI switching system
such as the ENGL Z-11
• Poweramp Output 2 x 4 ohms, 2 x 8 ohms and 1 x 16 ohms for many speaker options
• 100 Watts output power, 4 x 6L6GC power tubes
•Four ECC83 (12AX7) preamp tubes

Goes for $2,399.99 at DCGL

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Three hundred more than a Roadster and a shared eq? Pass.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
This is the problem with the good old Atlantic. Over here, this amp is anywhere from £800 to a grand cheaper in general than the Roadsters.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

stuh84 said:
This is the problem with the good old Atlantic. Over here, this amp is anywhere from £800 to a grand cheaper in general than the Roadsters.
Yep. Engl is basically the German Peavey. There is no reason to buy one in the states, since they are just not worth the price tag.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts

Yep. Engl is basically the German Peavey. There is no reason to buy one in the states, since they are just not worth the price tag.
I wouldn't quite go that far, its still £1500 for the Smolski model (which translates to about the same price you pay over in the US, about $2500), but the Roadster is £2400 in comparison (which is about $50 off being $4000)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I wouldn't quite go that far, its still £1500 for the Smolski model (which translates to about the same price you pay over in the US, about $2500), but the Roadster is £2400 in comparison (which is about $50 off being $4000)
That's just because Mesa's EU distributors (as well as Aguilar's and a number of others) absolutely rape overseas purchasers on prices :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts

I loved the one Powerball that I played, but the shared EQ on this one is a total face-palmer.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
Who the fuck is Victor Smolski?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I don't care so much about the shared EQ, but I have yet to play an ENGL I've truly liked.

·
1,053 Posts
I don't care so much about the shared EQ, but I have yet to play an ENGL I've truly liked.
I played a Powerball a few years back. Funnily enough I used an RG1527 they had in the store
Borat said:
I felt liekuhhhh....Christopher Br0dereek

·
1,053 Posts
You liked the tiny terror, your argument is invalid!
Mr friend bought one a few months ago and I had to pretend like I didn't think it was the most gutless amp ever. He liked it until he tried using it for a band rehearsal :lol: :lol:

Mr friend
:ugh:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Tried one out recently, it sounded pretty good at practice volumes; would be cool to try it in a band situation (reminded me of the Savage or the Mesa Mark IV)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Neznaroz said:
You liked the tiny terror, your argument is invalid!
Mr friend bought one a few months ago and I had to pretend like I didn't think it was the most gutless amp ever. He liked it until he tried using it for a band rehearsal :lol: :lol:

Mr friend
:ugh:
Gutless is the perfect easy to describe it. I've played a Powerball and SE, and both felt cold and sterile to me. Michael Romeo is the only guitarist I have heard get a sound I like out of one, and even then, I imagine what he would sound like with a different amp. They just don't have character to me.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts

Gutless is the perfect easy to describe it. I've played a Powerball and SE, and both felt cold and sterile to me. Michael Romeo is the only guitarist I have heard get a sound I like out of one, and even then, I imagine what he would sound like with a different amp. They just don't have character to me.
The Powerball and SE are two of the most overrated amps I've ever come across. They both sound like they've thrown 12 compressor pedals over everything.

The only Engls I like are my Invader, the Savage 120, and the Thunder as a lower wattage 80s/90s metal amp.

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
The Powerball and SE are two of the most overrated amps I've ever come across. They both sound like they've thrown 12 compressor pedals over everything.

The only Engls I like are my Invader, the Savage 120, and the Thunder as a lower wattage 80s/90s metal amp.
I liked the SE purely because of that extremely over saturated high gain tone, it was very Necrophagist, but it's a bit of a one trick pony when you get down to it.

Frankly, the shared EQ, volume and gain was a big problem I had with the old Fireball I had. It really was a good amp but trying to dial it in for a good clean and a good metal tone, you were making compromises either way. The gain was pretty compressed too and it didn't take too well to pedals either, the TS7 upfront barely did anything. Good, but just a one trick pony.

I've heard good things about the newer Fireball and Powerballs, but from my experience, the whole Fire/Powerball/SE range were just a variation on the same amp, with more or less the same highly saturated compressed sound.

The Invader pretty much shits all over them from a great height. :metal:

4 channels ALL with independent EQ, Gain and Volume. Nothing beats it. And the gain is very different to the compressed sound of the FB/PB/SE range... way more versatile, and when I put the TS upfront it actually makes a difference. Channel 2 + TS7 = some of the most godly tones I've ever heard.

I'm kinda with Noodles on the whole shared EQ thing, it's really troublesome and I get so much more out of my Invader because of the independent controls on each channel. The Invader basically trashes everything else Engl have ever done as far as I'm concerned. :metal:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I like my Fireball, but I treat it as a 1 channel amp and get cleans from a 4-cable RP1k. :lol: I could also trade it for a mint condition 6505+ and not lose money. heh I wouldn't pay new prices for these amps....

The whole "4 channels with 2 EQs" thing seems like a joke, unless you have 4 EQs it's really just 2 channels, IMO.

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
I like my Fireball, but I treat it as a 1 channel amp and get cleans from a 4-cable RP1k. :lol: I could also trade it for a mint condition 6505+ and not lose money. heh I wouldn't pay new prices for these amps....

The whole "4 channels with 2 EQs" thing seems like a joke, unless you have 4 EQs it's really just 2 channels, IMO.
Pretty much

Not to bash the Fireball, it did pretty much 1 thing and only 1 thing, but it did it well. It just wasn't for me, 'cos like you say it's pretty much 1 channel. I think what really killed it for me was the shared gain knob, for a good lead tone you're dirtying up the clean channel too much, that was worse than the shared EQ. :noplease:

I like how the Gigmaster I'm getting, the little 1x10 combo, has more features than the Fireball had. I don't mind the shared EQ on that, it makes sense because it's a compact package, but even that has a separate lead gain. Thankfully they've fixed that issue in the new Fireball 100, but it doesn't make too much sense in a full sized amp to have shared EQ any more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts