Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a gamer, really, but after playing Portal for the first time last week I'd really like to play Portal 2. The trouble is my main desktop is of the small and quiet variety (I was on a miniature kick when I bought it). So I need a graphics card that's small and doesn't consume too much power. My question is this: Would the Radeon HD 5570 work for Portal 2?

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

It's small and burns only 39 watts. I considered the Radeon HD 5670, since it would fit, but it uses 64 watts, which is cutting it close with my 250W (seriously) power supply. For reference, this is the case I have:

Newegg.com - ASUS T3-M2NC51PV AMD Athlon X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 AMD Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 GeForce 6150 Barebone

I don't believe the PSU is replaceable.

I've read the system requirements for Portal 2, but they seem low for the detailed videos I've seen of Portal 2.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
All Power Supplies are removable so if you need to upgrade it, shouldn't be an issue at all. the 5670 is a good card from what my buddies who are avid ATi fans.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Power Supplies are removable so if you need to upgrade it, shouldn't be an issue at all. the 5670 is a good card from what my buddies who are avid ATi fans.
Thanks.

I just assumed it was a custom PSU size, since it's a weird, small case. It's the first folding case I've seen, actually. Really what I need to do is just take a closer look and measure it.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Can you take a pic of the inside of the case showing the PSU? Not ALL power supplies are removable. A majority are, but you do get different sizes too.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Can you take a pic of the inside of the case showing the PSU? Not ALL power supplies are removable. A majority are, but you do get different sizes too.
ah I haven't came across any not removable power supplies in 6 years of building pc's for myself and some people.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's removable. I just don't know if it's a custom size that Asus sourced only for this case.

I'll try to get the specs on it tonight.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Folding case?

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, reading through some of the comments on Newegg, it looks like this has a standard ATX size PSU. Sweet. So replacing it's an option.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
ah I haven't came across any not removable power supplies in 6 years of building pc's for myself and some people.
:shrug: I work with this kinda shit day in and day out, and when I think of small pc's, I think of USFF cases which are a colossal PITA.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the 5570, if anyone cares. We'll see how it does with Portal 2. I have another machine with 8 cores, 24GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 260 that I can use, but I'd have to install Windows on it first...

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I went with the 5570, if anyone cares. We'll see how it does with Portal 2. I have another machine with 8 cores, 24GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 260 that I can use, but I'd have to install Windows on it first...
I run a GTX 260 and portal 2 runs beautifully on my system, I just don't have 8 cores and 24 gigs of ram :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts