Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've had one of these sitting on my desk to try for months now, after trying the Custom in Dana's ash Warmoth and really liking it. I'll withhold my thoughts for now. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You might consider playing the exact same thing twice for the comparison, I can't really tell the difference.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Both pickups have their attributes 👍🏻

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might consider playing the exact same thing twice for the comparison, I can't really tell the difference.
I was trying to play somethhing similar off memory - I got pretty close, but it's not as easy as you think, considering I took an hour, hour and a half off in between to unwire a pickup, trim and drill out the tabs, rewire it, string and tune the guitar back up, and then fire my camera back up. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Seriously? The Custom had considerably more low-end "grunt" to it, whereas the Wolfe is all about the upper mids.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also thought what I was playing WAS pretty consistent here. :lol:

Ok, my thoughts - the JB is way more "vintage" sounding than the Custom, which is to my ears more "modern." The JB has a lot more high end sparkle and a lot more harmonic content in that area, while the Custom is probably more "even" sounding. Clean the JB is the more alive-sounding pickup, I think, though I'm less sure which I prefer distorted; The Custom is more articulate but still fluid, the JB is a little more "blurred" in the midrange and hairy in the highs, but not unappealingly so.

The Custom also REALLY likes being set closer to the strings; the whole thing just sounds "bigger." Unfortunately, the Sentient doesn't respond as well so to keep them balanced I have to keep them a little farther back off than I'd prefer the Custom alone.

My initial thoughts (and even to an extent thoughts listening to this clip) are that I preferred the JB, but the more I play the Custom the more I'm not sure that's the case. Bare minimum I'm gonna give it some more time, as it's a great sounding pickup; less exciting clean, but I may prefer it distorted.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I think the custom 7 in your guitar does sound a bit different than the 6 string version in my guitar.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I think more so I would have liked a bit more distorted rhythm playing, and also to have the editing to be:

Wolfe - clean
Duncan - clean
Wolfe - gain
Duncan - gain
Bunch of ungrateful cunts. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think more so I would have liked a bit more distorted rhythm playing, and also to have the editing to be:

Wolfe - clean
Duncan - clean
Wolfe - gain
Duncan - gain
Maybe I'll try that the next time I shoot one of these. At a minimum I should edit in shortcuts into the description.

EDIT - what Astrocreep said. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts