Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've pulled out the EMGs from my last active guitar. It's a maple neck through Rhoads with poplar wings and an ebony board. I'm thinking about putting in some vintage hot pickups in to this one.

Here's what I currently have.... My main rhythm guitar has a ceramic Nail Bomb in it, and my "layering" rhythm guitar has a Cold Sweat in it. My guitars for cutting leads are archtop soloists, one with a Suhr Aldrich pair and one with a BKP VHII/HD.

For this guitar, I'm looking for something that will be more suited to thick lead sounds than tight rhythm sounds, but as I plan on using this guitar live (traditional metal not super tight death metal), rhythm sounds can't be completely ignored. I really like the VHII, and I'm thinking about a pair of those, but I'm also thinking maybe I'd like to try something else like the Black Dogs, Riff Raffs or the Holy Divers (I really like the HD neck in my AT).

Anyone have any thoughts on these? I am also not against other brands (except Dimarzio, :rofl:), so I am open to other ideas.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The emerald bridge is hands down IMO the best bkp around. For thick leads, I'd pair that up with an abraxas neck, but that's also an extremely fluid lead sound that may not be what you're looking for. Think of what it's named for

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Is this the Purple Rhoads? In that case, I think a Duncan Custom would actually sound great in that one - at least from what I remember.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Max - I don't want a really fluid neck pickup. I have the CS neck in a couple of guitars and I will be replacing it with something more open.

@Mike - yeah it's for the Interference RR. I'm thinking the custom is a pretty aggressive pickup, and that might work well for rhythms, but won't give me the singing lead sound I'd like. The guitar is a little hollow sounding, so scooped mids is not the direction I'd want to go.

I should add, I'm wanting a thick bridge lead tone. I don't do many leads on the neck.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Alnico II Pros? Pearly Gates? More "vintage" and less "hot", but plenty of snarl.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
@Mike - yeah it's for the Interference RR. I'm thinking the custom is a pretty aggressive pickup, and that might work well for rhythms, but won't give me the singing lead sound I'd like. The guitar is a little hollow sounding, so scooped mids is not the direction I'd want to go.
Point. I couldn't remember if that one was hollow or slightly middy. Maybe the Custom Custom? They're very middy, although maybe a little light in the bottom end for rhythm - certainly great for "singing lead", though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Didn't you have a custom custom that you hated? :rofl:
Yeah, but he loves the JB, and you don't. Perhaps it works?

Try an Alternative 8 maybe?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It was totally wrong for the guitar it was in (the white Zion), because it added too much midrange to a guitar that was already loaded with it. :lol: You could, however, dial up that Satch-style "singing lead" tone really easily.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Well in that case I've got several dimarzio recommendations for what you want, but I'll refrain :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I rather like the Rio Grandes in my Jackson. That said, I'm taking them out and giving them to Drew because I can't get on with the chrome in an 80's shredder. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
DiMarzio's thing appears to be "midrangey singing leads" :lol:

It might be worth checking out an Evo, a Tone Zone, or an Air Norton bridge.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'm guessing an overwound '59 is out of the question...?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I should add, I'm wanting a thick bridge lead tone. I don't do many leads on the neck.
Bare Knuckle Pickups, UK - Black Dog

I figure what you want is a truckton of mids with a pretty solid bass response. The highs look "rounded" here but there's all kinds of snarl in the mids.

Listen to the "modern metal" clip for that humbucker and compare it to a couple of others like the Cold Sweat, I think you'll see what I mean. The Cold Sweat is more zingy up top with that scooped midrange.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also, I believe Nolly's melting faces at Sonisphere right now with Periphery, so chances are he wont' respond to this for a while.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would have to change colours to blue and gold as well, so I think I'm going to have to pass :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts