Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a guitar here that has some noisy springs. Whenever you mute the guitar, you can hear the springs make a high-pitch reverberation after the strings stop vibrating - you can hear it only on the bridge humbucker when it's plugged in.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Put some foam between the springs and body. That works wonders.

Hey guys,

I have a guitar here that has some noisy springs. Whenever you mute the guitar, you can hear the springs make a high-pitch reverberation after the strings stop vibrating - you can hear it only on the bridge humbucker when it's plugged in.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I just need to find foam. JJ suggested putting foam In the spring, which will look much classier but take more effort :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. I don't look forward to taking the springs out though, I recall it being hell when I tried that on my squier strat at home :ugh:.

I'm looking forward to putting the deactivator in the bridge, and finding out what SD single coil is in the neck.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
I know. I don't look forward to taking the springs out though, I recall it being hell when I tried that on my squier strat at home :ugh:.
? If you get really compressible foam (like the kind for weatherproofing windows), you can squeeze it under the springs without removing them.

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
Shrink wrap over the coil section of the spring will do the trick.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, would plastic wrap work in that case? :idea:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Honestly, I've just got a folded up square of paper towel under the springs in my UV. IT's not perfect, but it helps in a pinch.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hehe - that I can do in the next 5 minutes, Drew! I'll try it - effortless, free. :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the paper towel thing...

The sound is still there. This leads me to believe it's not the springs. :scratch:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I am not. I will try that right now.

Findings: that solved the problem! Thanks Darren! I'm curious as to why no other guitar I've played suffers from this though.

I wonder if I have an elastic band kicking around..

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Sometimes it's just the combination of a hot bridge pickup, a percussive playing style and the right amount of gain and EQ.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing is, this guitar has that ringing when it's unplugged, and only on the bridge humbucker when plugged in. That's what's got me confused - why wouldn't I hear the same sound through the single coils?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It could be specific harmonics that are ringing that the single coils aren't picking up. On my Tele, the neck pickup is positioned right on the "24th fret harmonic node" and thus can't "hear" natural harmonics at the 5th fret.

It could be a factor of the length of the headstock, the mass of the headstock and/or tuners, etc. Just one of those "resonance" things.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makes sense. Thanks again! :yesway:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts