Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd pop in with a link to my new Black Sugar Transmission album Violent Muses:

https://blacksugartransmission.bandcamp.com/album/violent-muses

The style of BST has been described as "highly destructive dance-rock", but there's plenty of wacky guitar work on here, aided and abetted by my custom Blacksugar Strat, my old Fender Strat, the AxeFX2, the Eventide H9 and various other stompboxes.

Not exactly metal, but plenty to enjoy for guitar nerds, methinks.

Also if you're further interested, look up the Violent Muses studio report series on Youtube (vids that go in-depth into the recording process, focusing on gear, inspiration and the other musos involved). There are five online now and more to come.

That's all, thanks for reading this!

andeeee

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Just listened through. It's a bit too pop-punk for me in large chunks, but it's got enough of other things in it to keep me interested. It makes me think of Nuno Bettencourt's Schizophonic in places, and earlier Steve Vai in others (I think it's the lydian mode and whole tone scale that you seem to use a fair bit, but also some of the 'massive guitars out of nowhere' thing), but with a lot of creativity elsewhere.

Really interesting stuff, man. Outside of my normal type of stuff, which is great. I could listen to you soloing all day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just listened through. It's a bit too pop-punk for me in large chunks, but it's got enough of other things in it to keep me interested. It makes me think of Nuno Bettencourt's Schizophonic in places, and earlier Steve Vai in others (I think it's the lydian mode and whole tone scale that you seem to use a fair bit, but also some of the 'massive guitars out of nowhere' thing), but with a lot of creativity elsewhere.

Really interesting stuff, man. Outside of my normal type of stuff, which is great. I could listen to you soloing all day.
I love Schizophonic.:idea:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It shows. ;) great album, very underrated. Your playing is awesome, man.
Thanks! It is always interesting to find out what other people hear in BST.

Influences on this particular album were: Prong, Little Dragon, Marshall Crenshaw, Deerhoof, Autechre, M.I.A., Prince, Primal Scream and the book The War Of Art.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts