Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this video when I got home from work:

I immediately bought the album. Just finished listening. I'm on my second listen through. Fuck. Ing. Hell. This is absolute perfection. The grooves, the playfulness of the interaction between the cheeky melodies, the harmonies and chords, the drum orchestrations and patterns, the first class performances, the composition, it's all just nailed. Not a duff moment or element on the album, just amazing, amazing stuff throughout.

He's picked some fantastic players for this. And it's not often you get to see Sfogli in musical situation where he's out of his depth. There's bunch of musicians on it I haven't heard of before. Going to be interesting exploring what they do on their own. But I was sold at Donati with Shreeve, even if it's only on a couple of tracks. I could listen to hours and hours of those two playing together.

It's so cool to hear him not being dragged down by MacAlpine and Sherinian. They're both pretty good, but Donati is leagues ahead of nearly everyone, most definitely those two, on every level. And those guys' playing and choice of sounds, I find they never embellish my enjoyment of Donati; at best they tend to facilitate it.

Off to jizz over my Donati-signed copy of Moonbabies and anything with a V on it.

·
getting schwifty
1,285 Posts
very cool, I hope Ronald bruner jr releases something like this. jumping on the bandwagon :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Definitely want to check this out.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm so completely blown away by this. I've had it on repeat all weekend. It's the best music I've heard in years. So refreshing and exciting to hear something not just treading over well-worn ground. The guy is on another level in every way. It's really easy to focus on the amazing playing and intricate chops by everyone, but the composition is fucking outrageous on this.

It's almost ridiculous that, at 54 years old, Virgil is one of the freshest-sounding and most innovative composers out there. This album is a masterpiece.

Also, I thought it at the time of the videos, but I'm now doubly resolute in this; thank fuck he did not get the job in DT. What a monumental waste of his abilities that would be.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys have never heard of Return To Forever, have you.
I have no idea what you mean by that. If you think they're similar or did what VD is doing here better, you can't have listened to either (they couldn't be more different). If you seriously think we've not heard one of the most famous and influential bands in fusion, you should be burnt alive for not realising who you're messing with, ese.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts