Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Thy Brick of House: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/30.0.011; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Blackholes amaze the fuck out of me :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Cool. :agreed: I was waiting for him to get to a neutron star (somewhere inbetween the core of the sun and a black hole), but he never got to it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The physics behind figuring out how much the sun weighs have to be either incredibly impressive, or entirely speculative. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The physics behind figuring out how much the sun weighs have to be either incredibly impressive, or entirely speculative. :lol:
It is actually incredibly impressive. It has to do with analyzing the light the sun produces, noticing where the gaps in the color bands are, and using that information to determine what elements compose the sun and in what amounts.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what I just saw, because it's after 2am and I'm tired, but it was cool!

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
It's actually very impressive and not speculative at all. I took several astronomy courses in college, going up to the upper intermediate level (since it wasn't my major or minor, I never went up to senior level courses) and in one of my courses, they actually taught us how to find out what elements a specific star is made out of.

Depending on the heat of a star, the specific elements that star will be able to produce will differ. Our sun is a heavy element-rich star in that it has tons and tons of heavy elements. In fact, the Earth and all the planets in the solar system are believed to have formed from the same interstellar gas that formed the sun, which is why the Earth has so many heavy elements. If you looked at another solar system, they may have no gold, uranium, plutonium, or so on because their sun lacks those elements. Hotter stars can produce denser elements. In fact, all nuclear fusion occurs in the core of a star, which is where all heavy elements are created. For example, all gold on Earth was created in the core of a sun (or through a supernova - since supernovas also can create very heavy elements) and since gold is such a heavy element, it is one of the rarest in the universe (along with Uranium, Thorium, Bismuth, and other such elements).

Here's some info on the subject:
Nucleosynthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
Stellar nucleosynthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, we know how big the sun is and from gravitation, we can tell how massive it is. The center of a large stellar body is going to be densest part of that body (due to gravity) and that is part of the reason why nuclear fusion for heavy elements can only take place in stars' cores. Because the atoms need to get close enough to fuse, which becomes harder and harder the heavier the element gets. The reason why heat is even more important than density is because even if the core is insanely dense, you need to have the nuclei moving fast enough to collide. And since "heat" is basically "speed" (nothing could possibly move at absolute zero, even light), the higher the heat, the faster the nuclei. And, with a higher density and higher heat, the heavier elements your star can produce.

It's definitely not speculative. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts