Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A) Screw music retailers. Having only one American strat in the place and having it be $1200 with the 70's headstock is stupid. I didn't plan on buying anything else, but I needed a USB-Midi cable for the Axe, so I went and got one while lamenting the fact that I'm just going to have to wait until I find a 97 Inca Silver strat like Drew's before I find anything that's worth dropping "real" coin on.

However, a man has needs, and I needed a midrange Tele (sorta), so I bought one, while Drew noodled away in Guitar Center on The Strat through a Mark V. For $500, this thing will do the job and curb my tele GAS for a while. Plays well enough, has crap strings with 9's on it right now and that will change this evening, but anyway, it's black, it has a maple fretboard, and I'm pretty happy with it:

So I brought the guitar and my misc crap out to my car, and had to go back in and fetch Drew, who was reminding everyone else in GC playing strats that his does, indeed, sound better, and he is, indeed, a better blues player than everyone else in there, and that they should all just go the fuck home and save their money.

We'd been kicking around the idea of project strats for a while, and seriously, all I wanted to do was go back in, shoot the breeze with Drew and head out for the day. We played a couple of uninspiring Mexis, most notably a burst that looked great and sounded decent but played like shit. Just before leaving, I said "Hey GC guy, grab me that black one up there please". My kryptonite. :(

So there I am, all I wanted to do was leave, but noooo, stupid Drew had to plug this thing in and bust out his stupid ass stupidly good stupid blues licks of awesome, and he made the thing sound amazing, as long as you didn't compare it to The Strat.. So I bought this one, too. I actually picked up a set of chrome Sperzels (which the GC dude was cool enough to price-match with StewMac) for the tele, but they're now going on the strat tonight, along with some heavier strings.

For just over a grand out the door for both of them, it'll scratch the itch for awhile and tide me over until I one day find the Inca hanging on a wall.

And that's how I came to own a pair of black maple Mexicans today.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:lol:

Both of 'em actually weren't half bad. The Black Strat didn't sound quite as good as the (great sounding, sahitty playing) sunburst we were comparing it to, but the neck felt much better and I think a couple easy tweaks (set the bridge flat on the body, adjust the pickup height a bit) could level the playing field. And the Tele was pretty damned cool, actually.

It was also inteeresting to A/B the Cruisers against some proper strat pickups - they're really awfully low output, and while they're brighter they lack some of the presence a true singlecoil has. It's weird, they nail the Texas blues sound to a T, but that's not quite what I'm after so now I'm weighing taking Dimarzio's 30-day exchange program up and trying a Virtual Vintage Blues or Heavy Blues in their place. I wanna sort out the wiring though just in case, so that's what I'm about to do. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sperzels and that roller nut I have kicking around, along with some elixir 11's tonight and a setup. Drew's been gracious enough to offer me his old Lace-loaded pickguard from The Strat, so I'm going to take him up on it.

After that, a proper bridge and that's basically it until I find the 97 someday. The tele, strings and probably some Sperzels, but I'm not going to go crazy with it since the only time I really jones for one is when I listen to MSD, and my blues chops fucking suck compared to Drew's anyway.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
BTW, trem-wise, you can't throw the wilkinson on mine (a VS100) on without having it drilled for a two-point trem, which requires a pro. However, Wilkinson makes a pretty good 6-point trem too:

STEWMAC.COM : Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG Vintage Tremolo

Don't order it from Stewmac, but that's probably what I'd grab.

EDIT - oh, and first order of business for your setup tonight should be jacking up the spring tension to pull the bridge flat against the body. It'll let you do in-tune compound bends, and should do wonders for the tone. That's one bridge that God never meant to float. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple random pics from the trip. Drew playing one of those mini-scale GIOs. Noodles-scale, if you will.

LTD of win that he wasn't manly enough to buy. It even has a maple board!

:( Here I am, with The Strat, in a guitar store, and though I've always wanted to see The Strat in a guitar store, I still can't buy it. :(

The rather (imo) unimpressive Mark V we (Drew, mostly) was playing through.

Shitting on newbs like it's his business. I honestly felt bad for the people around him noodling away on lesser guitars with lesser chops, but maybe he inspired someone. If you're in a guitar store and you're busting out your best Guitar Store Licks, and Drew walks in and basically erases everyone else there, it has to be a bit dejecting for them. :lol:

I passed on the tradition of the 2101 though, and donated it to the Drew's Desk foundation. Not that he'll use it, but someday he may want a flanger or something.

And because he once again wouldn't sell me The Strat, I put my junk on his door handle. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, trem-wise, you can't throw the wilkinson on mine (a VS100) on without having it drilled for a two-point trem, which requires a pro. However, Wilkinson makes a pretty good 6-point trem too:

STEWMAC.COM : Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG Vintage Tremolo

Don't order it from Stewmac, but that's probably what I'd grab.

EDIT - oh, and first order of business for your setup tonight should be jacking up the spring tension to pull the bridge flat against the body. It'll let you do in-tune compound bends, and should do wonders for the tone. That's one bridge that God never meant to float. :yesway:
LOL I didn't even notice the bridge until just now. I know you mentioned it, but holy shit, it's horrendous! :lol:

That bridge is a drop in replacement? Shit, for $100 it's a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
$499 pr $599, I think, on the LTD. Not worth it for what was a (cool looking) guitar without a neck pickup and with a not-super-versatile bridge pickup. The neck was a little uninspiring, too - for my first LTD experience, considering how much some of you like them, I was underwhelmed.

The Mark-V had a GREAT clean channel, I was really surprised. The 2nd channel was kinda meh, and the third was good, but not to the point where I'd dump my Roadster.

And I sounded sloppy as hell, man, I don't know what you're talking about. :lol:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
$499 pr $599, I think, on the LTD. Not worth it for what was a (cool looking) guitar without a neck pickup and with a not-super-versatile bridge pickup. The neck was a little uninspiring, too - for my first LTD experience, considering how much some of you like them, I was underwhelmed.
...and you will be a bit underwhelmed with most of the LTDs below the 4xx series & up. 1xx & 2xx series are ok, but the 4xx, 6xx & 1000 series are awesome.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woo, I love Sperzels. Took about half an hour to put 'em on, and about 2.5 minutes to string it up 10-48. Adjusted the pickup height, fixed the damn bridge angle :lol:, put on the Cliplock :)yesway:) and the obligatory classification level.

Needs a little neck relief, so I'm off to Google to see if I have the right size wrenches, otherwise I'll do it tomorrow. Sounds a lot better, plays a lot better, pickups are kinda blah but that's easy to fix.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The Mark-V had a GREAT clean channel, I was really surprised. The 2nd channel was kinda meh, and the third was good, but not to the point where I'd dump my Roadster.

And I sounded sloppy as hell, man, I don't know what you're talking about. :lol:
$375 new, fool.

In Store Used USED ESP LTD GEORGE LYNCH GL200MT MN TIGER YELLOW @440 9 053010 and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

And fuck your chops. Or, tab me out some cool bluesy shit so that I can get my Drew on tonight. :lol:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.