Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Vocal Coach reacts to Type O Negative

5K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·

Top comment:

I think we just witnessed Peter seduce from beyond the grave.
Always cool to see someone that's obviously not a metalhead react to such a fucking massive, fantastic song. :metal:

#10 ·
That is an awesome video, and Pete Steele could seduce even myself from the grave. 10/10

Also, I would choose being a poser every day, if it includes Type O. One of my top 5 favourite bands ever.

As vocal coach react videos go: Let her and Beth Roars tell you why Dio is awesome:

#34 ·
It is, y'know.

It hadn't been released when I played my first shows, but we did cover Black No. 1 back in '95/6.

"De-posering"! :wub:

We were all about that then, though we called them "trendies", people always following the latest fad with no substance, fibre or conviction. I wrote a song (well, the lyrics and main riff) about what we wanted to do with them... :lol: Ah, we were so young!

Me when I first saw my first post in this thread again:

:wtf:

Then I came to the same, highly logical conclusion as DBWells[1]! :drew: :beer: :rofl:

[1]But I wouldn't need the Barr defence because I can happily testify that October Rust is indeed an amazing album.

#14 ·
I don’t even want to admit how many of these vocal teacher reaction vids I’ve watched.

If you watch some of Rebecca’s original music, I wouldn’t say there is anything remotely “athletic” about her voice and she rarely gets into the technique side of things. She’s cute and all, but that’s about where it stops with my enjoyment of her stuff. Beth Roars is pretty great and there are a few other people out there who get more into the technique side of things, at least within their own capabilities. It’s funny how all the trained ones have zero clue about anything when it comes to screaming.

Dev’s “Kingdom” vid essentially went viral just from people reacting to it. While my knee-jerk reaction is to scoff, I’m just glad people are getting exposed to him. While part of me feels dirty for watching so many of these reaction vids, I suppose it’s not too different than me being 16 and trying to get all my friends into Dream Theater, the reactions now are just much more positive than what I got back in the 90’s.

#15 ·
Dev's "Kingdom" vid essentially went viral just from people reacting to it. While my knee-jerk reaction is to scoff, I'm just glad people are getting exposed to him. While part of me feels dirty for watching so many of these reaction vids, I suppose it's not too different than me being 16 and trying to get all my friends into Dream Theater, the reactions now are just much more positive than what I got back in the 90's.
I think one difference here is that Devin Townsend is really a great vocalist with good tone and power, while James Labrie's voice is an acquired taste at best.

I haven't watched any "Vocal coach reacts to James Labrie"-videos, but even on the best DT albums I think there's some serious flaws in his singing. A lot of the times he sounds like he's sort of straining at the top of his range and his articulation is very poor - it's basically impossible to understand a lot of what he's singing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.