Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll spill the beans even though it's really not a big deal, but after buying a new guitar and a little combo amp (that I've still yet to do a NG/AD for), I've been working on some tunes that I eventually plan on recording and releasing as little EPs; tunes of the doom metal sort, nothing fancy or ground-breaking, just self-aware down-to-Earth "this is what it is, take it or leave it" stuff. But, I've found myself hitting a road-block with some of them, and that's the breakdown between vocal melody vs. guitar melody.

We all know Electric Funeral, straight forward no frills for 90% of it, and it's the same melody on guitar/bass/vocals

Currently I'm dealing with a similar problem, where I've got the original melody/timing of the lyrics down, but every time I go to write for the rhythm that be playing the verse - it ends up following the same timing. Here's the original version, just timing to get a sense of it, when I initially hummed it out, I hear it as Sabbath/original Electric Wizard style:
https://soundcloud.com/user-805355229%2Fmelody-v1%2Fs-Pyad8%5B
They both have their merits, and I think it's going to ultimately come down to me deciding which direction I want the song to take more of - old school throwback doom, or sludgier newer sound.

What does everyone else tend to do when/if this happens? I've got one other song this also happened one, and it's one of those things that I don't want to become a habit - although it doesn't seem to matter which one I have done first, vocals or rhythm; whatever I have next ends up mirroring the original.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
If the song is well written, do what you want haha.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I always write vocals based off what the drums are doing and very, very rarely will I let the guitar influence the vocal melody. Sometimes I'll just mute the guitar tracks and write to the drum track if I'm having a hard time getting away from the guitar melody. The newest song I'm working on now, the vocals actually do follow the guitar part on the verses and I wasn't stoked about it until I realized the vocals were getting stuck in my head nonstop.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always write vocals based off what the drums are doing and very, very rarely will I let the guitar influence the vocal melody. Sometimes I'll just mute the guitar tracks and write to the drum track if I'm having a hard time getting away from the guitar melody. The newest song I'm working on now, the vocals actually do follow the guitar part on the verses and I wasn't stoked about it until I realized the vocals were getting stuck in my head nonstop.
I think this is where I was getting hung up on it, was that I was working on the vocals so much and had them stuck in my head, that with the guitar also following that melody, it provided another way of having it really driven home; but with the new riff I wrote for the verse, it can be sung either way, so I'll have to workshop it as I track it and see which way I like it more (my money is on the original version)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts