Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Vocal recording with Rev Droolcifer

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Boots-Paul 
#1 ·
My guitarist put together this vid of the last 9 months of me recording vocals for our EP.
There's a mix a joy and anger in here...I've learned/grown more in the last 9 months as a result of these sessions, but fucking hell, I almost quit singing all together a few times during this stuff due to lack of confidence and sheer frustration.

#3 ·
Thanks, man.

I was kind of hoping my guitarist would have put the more intense stuff on there. There were some really heated moments in that place for the first 6 months of recording. If I was on the other side of the glass, it was a tense situation. Once I got in the control room things changed drastically. And my guitarist also left out the million times he said "That's pretty much perfect, but I want to see if you can do a slightly different version of it...." which caused all the frustration.

It's cool looking back to see how I've changed as a vocalist in the last 9 months, aside from just my hair. That whole bit about the word "I" and how it's a bitch to scream....I don't even think about stuff like that anymore.

#5 ·
Just be easy on her if she's not pulling out what you're looking for.

With this band, my guitarist wrote all the tunes then I came in and wrote the lyrics/melodies, so he's got this idea in his head of how he wants these songs to sound but has very little ability in demonstrating it while having no problem asking me to do 200 takes of practically the same thing so he can hear the magic take that only exists in his head.

It actually got to the point that our bassist put his foot down with him as well and said "Christ, just let the guy sing the fuckin' song he wrote. If you're going to modify every damn thing he's doing why don't YOU just write the parts and sing them?"

In reality, the performance she has in her head and the performance you have in yours are two different performances, you just got to find a way to get what you each want in it.

#6 ·
It's all good. We write the stuff together so it's mostly about getting the most out of her performances and getting the right take and getting her up to the best level possible. Thankfully I'm not the kind of person who has a vision in my head and am trying to bring it out. Mainly wih this vocalist it's been about getting Her comfortable with recording and getting seeing how things translate on track compared to in the room. She's not been a vocalist in a performing band before, always been the guitarist so she's a little raw but pure talent.

#9 ·
Thanks, dude!

We've got 7 songs for this EP that's been taking us forever. I've got 2 songs left to track vocals for and since we've been mixing as we've been going, it shouldn't be too much longer. Then again...we started this over a year ago, I've never worked so slow in the studio before!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.