Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a serious Voivod kick recently, having rather fallen in love with them after years of not quite seeing the point.

I've heard in quite a few interviews that Piggy had one or more oddball tunings that he used on some albums, but at the same time no-one seems to be able to agree on what they were, and I have an guitar magazine somewhere that came out right after he died, where he's quoted as saying that things people thought were altered tunings were actually diagonal barres and similar techniques.

Can anyone shed any light on this, as I'm struggling to find a proper answer anywhere?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I'd love to know as well. Although, I cant really get into any of their albums except Phobos. I know Voivod fans usually hate that record because its completely different than the thrashy stuff they did on all their other albums, but that album is really up my musical ally.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
I've had Nothingface for about as long as it's been out, but that's it. I've always had the "get more" on the list, but never have because there's always been a higher priority. I got it mostly for "Astronomy Domine", but there's other tracks I really like. I especially like the Stravinsky-like parts in Pre-Ignition. It's been one of those albums I love when I'm in the mood for it, and I always thing I should play it more, but if I'm not in the mood, it just sets there.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Dan Mongrain, the current guitarist did some tab books for Killing Technology & Dimension Hatross.

I was looking through the KT Tab book at the show they did in Miami earlier this year (Which I'd have bought if they took credit cards :/), and IIRC most of the songs were in Eb.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan Mongrain, the current guitarist did some tab books for Killing Technology & Dimension Hatross.

I was looking through the KT Tab book at the show they did in Miami earlier this year (Which I'd have bought if they took credit cards :/), and IIRC most of the songs were in Eb.
Ah, interesting to know. Wouldn't actually mind picking those up...

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts

Yeah, all of the ones I've tried to learn are in Eb, just the chord voicings are completely fried.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I've never been a fan of Voivod back in the day, but since I'm going to see them for the first (and probably only) time on the DeathCrusher Tour next week I have been dwelling on YT and having a listening while doing other things.

This is still my fav of them:

And I remember in the early 90's seeing this video and thinking, if **** Jagger had a Metal band instead of the Rolling Stones, this would be it ahahaha

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
"Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatross" are both brilliant. "Nothingface" is the coldest metal album ever recorded, and is awesome in a different way.

Most of the rest is hit or miss.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
Popped on to ITMS to see if they had: "Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatross". Without checking some discography, it seems like "everything" is there.

For the curious, I also found a two-part podcast:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
"Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatross" are both brilliant. "Nothingface" is the coldest metal album ever recorded, and is awesome in a different way.

Most of the rest is hit or miss.
I think their foray into rock music on Outer Limits & are pretty great ("Jack Luminous" especially), and their early stuff is super cool, but super raw... I havent heard the two discs with the other singer, but beyond that I didnt really dig the Jason Newsted era of the band. But Target Earth is pretty tits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts