Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a change in my Suhr again - I like how the Rebel Yells sound, but theyre' really not all that hot, at all, meaning I have to push the Rectfier's preamp gain further than it likes, and I've got them adjusted about as close to the strings as I can get away with. They kill for lower gain bluesier stuff, but when I want a little more saturation they're not quite there.

So, has anyone had a PAF and a Evo in the same guitar? I had an Evo in my old 2027, where it killed in the bridge position, and I suspect it'd work well for what I'm after in my Suhr (and, certainly, Vai's ALS era tone was an Evo in alder, so it should be in the right ballpark in ash, and I love that sound).

I like the PAF, loads, in the neck, and it balances well with the Blaze bridge in my UV. The Evo is about 420 on Dimarzio's output chart, while the Blaze is like 380, so if the Blaze works the Evo should...

The alternative is I install that rewound JB from Dave that's been gathering dust and try it with a Jazz in the neck. :lol:

I guess I'm looking for a neck pickup with kind of a clear, reasonably bright PAF or very fat Strat neck pickup sort of tone - round, but clear with a good attack - and for a bridge pickup something that lends itself to smooth saturation rather than crunch, good high end, but sort of rounded off rather than having a lot of presence spike to it. I like the Blaze in basswood because it does that, and has a very appealing harmonic "haze" to the sustain. The Rebel Yell is pretty good in this respect, too, but isn't really hot enough. Anything else I should be looking at? Output comparable to a set of Blazes is a good starting point.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
:scratch:

I play metal and I have no issue with the output of the RY. Just step on the tube screamer and you should be good to go....

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Having had an Evo7 in a RG7620, and a RY in my LP, yeah, the Evo will likely give you a bit more compression that it sounds like you're after.

And, although I know that Wolfe rewind is going to sound killer, try out a EHX Soul Food. It works really well with my RY, and have it setup to give me what I think you're looking for... a bit of compression on the single notes to smooth out the response, and to give them a little warmth. Of course, I run a really dry sound (Stiletto crunch, no reverb or delay), so for me, this effect is pretty pronounced with fairly conservative settings on the pedal.

As far as the volume balance is concerned, I had my Evo7 paired with an Air Norton 7, and I didn't notice anything too out of whack level-wise. But then, until I made the switch to humbucker-sized P90's, I never, ever spent much time on my neck HB :)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Forget the Soul Food. Get a Rockett Archer. I have one and it's pretty awesome :yesway:

Also, I don't know about the balance on the 7-string Evo vs. the PAF7, but the 6-string versions work out pretty well together.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:scratch:

I play metal and I have no issue with the output of the RY. Just step on the tube screamer and you should be good to go....
I know... It's weird, man. I should pull them and measure resistance just to see if maybe something's up with them, because A/Bing them against virtually every other guitar I have, they're fairly quiet - heck, even my Strat's ML Standards have a higher perceived output than the Rebel Yell's, it seems, with the whole single coil attack thing going for them.

And it's not like I even really use a ton of gain - it's just that if you get the preamp gain on the Roadster up much past 2 o'clock, it tends to get fizzy and undefined. 1 o'clock is kind of a sweet spot, and it's a great tone, it's just fairly clean...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Maybe you've got a bad volume pot, or a bleed to ground somewhere?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Forget the Soul Food. Get a Rockett Archer. I have one and it's pretty awesome :yesway:
The Soul Food is 1/3 the price! :lol:

So, naturally, yes, go for the Rockett Archer :agreed:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe you've got a bad volume pot, or a bleed to ground somewhere?
Doubtful, unless it came from the factory that way, and the wiring is complex enough that I don't REALLY want to gut it and start over. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
With all the crazy, over-the-top wiring schemes I've come up with and put together, I fucking HATE wiring up 5-way switches :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a three way, but with a push-pull coil tap. Nothing TOO weird, just a lot of little bits and pieces.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It's a three way, but with a push-pull coil tap. Nothing TOO weird, just a lot of little bits and pieces.
Treble bleed too, right?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably, yeah - it cleans up like there's one, anyhow.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And you know, tonight they don't sound so bad. A little weak, but fine. :shrug:

Gear drives me fucking insane. :lol: I should probably just buy a Mark V.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:lol:

"Should I change my pickups? Nah, need a Mark V." --MG

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Gear drives me round the bend pretty much all of the time! I go back and forth between being picky and trying to decide what new pickups/pedal/misc I need to sound that bit better and then the other times I just think what I have should be plenty good enough, stay put.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My LP saw 5 sets of pickups in the span of the first two months I had it. I just didn't like the tone I was getting, but I could tell the guitar itself had tone in it by playing it acoustically. It took a while, but I'm actually really happy with the set I have in there (Rebel Yell bridge and Mississippi Queen neck), and have zero plans on changing them out.

It's OK to gear-chase, provided you have *some* exit strategy :lol:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
And you know, tonight they don't sound so bad. A little weak, but fine. :shrug:

if I can't get the sound I want, I can't blame my gear anymore :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
My LP saw 5 sets of pickups in the span of the first two months I had it. I just didn't like the tone I was getting, but I could tell the guitar itself had tone in it by playing it acoustically. It took a while, but I'm actually really happy with the set I have in there (Rebel Yell bridge and Mississippi Queen neck), and have zero plans on changing them out.
The RY+MQ is a great combination. :agreed:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts